Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! Looking for a little help. I don't know much about cars (I'm slowly learning so I have to rely less on my boyfriends and won't get charged a 'newbie girl' fee at a mechanic).

I recently purchased a trade-in Ford Focus 2010 LX (125,000km) from a showroom dealer and I'm having a slight issue with it. It is under a 3 month stat warranty so I'm not too scared about cost of repairs! I need my car for remote work so I want to try and pin down the cause before I go in to a mechanic looking clueless.

When I accelerate the car at any point above 60kph (37mph), I hear a high pitched whirring sound from the front (slightly to the front left/front passenger) of the vehicle that increases in pitch as I get faster. It sounds like an electric motor on a vacuum cleaner when you plug the end (?). It gets pretty loud so it's a bit disconcerting.

If I let off the accelerator the noise stops, and when I put my foot back down it starts again. If I keep tapping the accelerator I get some great electronic music beats. When I turn on cruise control at >60kph the sound is constant. If I am coasting down a hill and accelerating due to gravity, there is no sound. I don't think it's a wheel bearing issue since it only happens when under driver/cruise caused acceleration. There is no sound when I throttle while in neutral so it is not the alternator.

Is this more likely an issue with the front differential or the transmission? It's a manual so I can't check the trans fluid levels myself sadly, to see if that's the issue. (New tires, new brake pads, engine oil dipstick looks fine, smooth gear changes, high clutch, recently serviced (by the dealer) ).

Thanks!

·
Registered
676 Posts
It sounds like an electric motor winding up when you accelerate and when you decelerate while in gear, im assuming?
Mine has sounded like that for atleast 5 years now, maybe since it was new. I honestly forget.
The noisiest manual trans ive ever had in a manual trans car this focus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts