Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I hope someone can help me with this. I have a kill switch that I need to install on my 2005 ZX3, required kit for a racing series I've entered. I thought I was very clever and that this was going to be breeze, but I've fouled something up along the way. This is what I've done so far:

1. Connected the positive battery terminal to one of the kill switch terminals.
  2. Connected the largest wire that used to be on the positive battery terminal (which I think goes to the starter) to the other kill switch terminal.
  3. Connected another of the wires that used to be on the positive battery terminal to one of the "Z" terminals.
  4. Connected the final wire that used to be on the positive battery terminal to the other "Z" terminal.
  5. Connected a jumper cable from one of the "W" terminals to the terminal from number 2 above.
  6. Connected the other "W" terminal to the resistor which is grounded.

Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram Circle

Now when I put the kill switch in the on position, nothing happens. The circuit is not complete. No lights, no nothing.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just realized I really screwed this up. Looking at this Focal Jet thread, I see that I need to connect all of the wires from the original positive terminal to one of the kill switch terminals, and then connect the alternator wire to one of the "W" terminals and the "starter" terminal in this diagram.

I guess my only question now is which wire is the main power wire for the ignition coil?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In case anyone comes across this in the future, the right way to do this is as follows:
  1. Connect the three wires off the positive battery terminal to one of the main kill switch posts.
  2. Connect a line from the other kill switch post to the positive side of the battery terminal.
  3. Cut the red wire coming from the ignition switch under the steering wheel and connect each end to one of the "Z" terminals
  4. Connect one "W" terminal to the starter side of the kill switch.
  5. Connect the resistor the other "W" post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts