Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Didn't see if this was referenced yet but some may find this interesting.

"Trouble for Detroit? Gen Y’s Favorite Cars Are Foreign" ... except for the Ford Focus....... (when looking at "car models" - not makes).

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/trouble-for-detroit--gen-y’s-favorite-cars-are-foreign.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trouble for Detroit? Gen Y’s Favorite Cars Are Foreign
By Jerry Edgerton | CBS MoneyWatch – Fri, Jul 8, 2011 1:41 PM EDT

A new study of Gen Y drivers’ preferences looks like more bad news for the Detroit automakers.

Auto pricing site TrueCar.com tracked both the brands and individual models bought in 2009 and 2010 by Generation Y shoppers (ages 18 to 27). The results should strike fear into the hearts of U.S. auto executives: Not a single brand from a domestic automaker made the Top 10 list.

Scion, a brand set up by Toyota Motor specifically aimed at young buyers, was No. 1. (See its Scion tC above right.) Mitsubishi, a name that barely registers with older shoppers, came in second.

Some other brands among the top 10, such as Honda and Volkswagen, have a long record of youth appeal. But even the Korean corporate twins Hyundai and Kia, which have recorded surging sales in recent years, appear to have extended their appeal to young buyers as well as older ones.

MORE AT CBS Moneywatch

» Made in USA: 5 Great Cars Still Made Here
» 10 Ways You Waste Money on Your Car
» Cheapest (& Priciest) Cars to Drive Now

Though Ford, Chrysler and the General Motors brands have enjoyed big sales gains this year, the TrueCar list portends some future trouble, as young buyers who like their first car often become loyal to that brand. “It is important for an auto maker to get a young buyer into their vehicle from the beginning, in hopes of continued loyalty to the brand,” says TrueCar chief analyst Jesse Toprak.

To that end, the domestic brands do still have the chance to get a boost from new models — such as the Ford Fiesta and Chevrolet Cruze — that offer plenty of features at an affordable price, notes Toprak’s colleague, TrueCar analyst Kristen Andersson. “Buyers from this generation are looking for vehicles that have the technology features they are accustomed to built into the vehicle at an affordable price, ” she says.

Not surprisingly, seven of the top 10 models preferred by young buyers have a list price of under $20,000. The top three models — the Scion tC, Mitsubishi Lancer and Honda Civic Si — offer a wide choice of features for personal customization.

The only U.S. model on the top 10 list of individual models is the Ford Focus coupe, which offers the SYNC system — Ford’s pioneering voice-command system, which controls mobile phones and to play music and is particularly popular with young buyers.

Other tech features that attract young buyers include the Lancer’s navigation system, with its own music server, and a Honda Civic Si system that lets the driver customize an on-screen display with options like current mileage.

Here is a closer look at TrueCar’s top brands and models:

Top Brands for Gen Y Buyers
(Ranked by percentage of buyers in Gen Y)
1. Scion — 21.2%
2. Mitsubishi — 20.3%
3. Mazda — 10.7%
4. Nissan — 9.8%
5. Volkswagen — 9.6%
6. Kia — 9.1%
7. Hyundai — 8.6%
8. Honda — 8.0%
9. Toyota — 7.6%
10. Subaru — 7.3%

Top Models for Generation Y Buyers
(Shown with MSRP)
1. Scion tC — $18,995
2. Mitsubishi Lancer — $20,670
3. Honda Civic Si – $22,975
4. Toyota Yaris Sedan — $13,915
5. Ford Focus Coupe — $17,365
6. Scion xD — $15,830
7. Volkswagen GLI — $25,365
8. Subaru Impreza – $19,220
9. Kia Forte — $15,690
10. Toyota Corolla — $16,660

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good thing Ford doesn't make a Focus coupe anymore... [:eek:]

Whoever wrote that article should be fired. It's a pile of garbage that attempts to draw some sort of definitive meaningful conclusion off relatively useless information. By the standard the author applied to it BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc are all screwed too. Basically it's a list of inexpensive quasi sporty / sporty looking cars. And, surprise, surprise the "Big 3" either don't make them, or where they do haven't been in the marketplace long enough to really get on the radar of those buyers. The Top 10 brand list is really nothing more than who is selling "excitement" in their commercials.

People's tastes change as they get older and have more money. The idea that some Gen Y'er is going to be brand loyal to Toyota their whole life because they bought a Yaris when they were just out of college because it's all they could afford is a joke.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
There are people who are brand loyal, but that seems to be something from older generations and I don't think it has carried over to their kids. [dunno]

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I was out of high school my dad let me use the Ford Torino and then the old beat up Volvo Wagon. I then got an Acura in my 20s a Mazda in my 30s and now looking at the Focus in my 40s. No brand loyalty here.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Last time I checked, scions and Mitsu's are at the bottom of the tree as far as sales go. So guess the people who voted dont actually own a car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm 22.. Bought my first car 4 days before my 20th bday. A 2003 mazda 6. Loved it and loved it until I traded it in last Wednesday.

I am loyal to no brand. I chose the best car I could find in my price range and fuel economy expectations. I will do the same assessment when I trade my '12 focus in.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Well, I guess I'm one of those brand loyal types, I'm on my 4th Ford in a row now. '82 Ford Courier PU (pre-ranger), '89 Ford F-150, '01 Ford Ranger, now on a '10 Ford Focus. I did look at other brands before I got the Focus, but in the end just had to stay with Ford.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Beat out by the Yaris ... how's that make you feel?

LOL

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Beat out by the Yaris ... how's that make you feel?

LOL
Seems like you're kind of actively disengaged lately... Young people probably buy yaris' because theyre cheap and their popcorn fart parents drive toyotas and weig heavily on their descision especially if theyre cosigning.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sunburn fried my brain (2nd degree).

I only mentioned the Yaris because I know it's a hell of a good car for the penny pincher racer (hatchback version at least). And it isn't a mini minvan ... but has an ugly dash. If I didn't have my car I'd of bought one.
and it's the only car on the list besides the Focus I actually like.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am studying to become a Ford Tech and I'm not brand loyal. I didn't even like Ford until maybe two years ago. They just didn't have anything I liked. Sure I would like a Focus, but if given the chance there are other cars I would gladly buy without a backwards glance. Anyway of course gen Y is going to be bigger on imports. They are easy cars to modify and fix usually.

Also I'd never take a scion over an Impreza lol although I do like the Scion (on the TC)

·
Registered
124 Posts
First of all, if the Focus Coupe is so highly prized by generation Y buyers, why do we see so few of them on the road?

Secondly, and more importantly, this survey proves that generation Y must surely be full of idiots who don't know much about cars. You're going to choose a Volkswagen, or worse yet, a Kia over a Ford?

Better make sure your dealership has a good service department, 'cause you'll be seeing an awful lot of them!

·
Pimp'n ain't easy
11,215 Posts
i drove a nissan as my first car (loved the hell outta that car) it was given to me though so i really couldnt complian. Put that car through hell (mudding with my friends e brake slides and what not...i was 16 dont judge) but when i got tboned and slammed head on by a truck my parents let me choose the car i could get ( they said any car) When i looked at them i said i want a focus (shoulda seen the look on their faces) And i still love my focus. When i get another car and stop DD this focus ill look at getting another focus. I am soo happy with my decision

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm an old fogie and I've never been loyal, infect I've never bought the same manufacturer twice in a row. Not that I purposely chose other brands, just worked out that way.

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
Since I am considered Gen Y, i feel I can chime in. I personally do not know any of my peers that drive a Scion or are a fan of them. so not sure if i am just in the minority or if this article is just a bit contrived

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn't mind owning a Scion iQ, 'cause I like the fact that they're as tiny and maneuverable as a Smart ForTwo, but offer better handling and room in back for extra friends.

Beyond that, Scions just seem really...

I don't know. There's just something about their styling that makes me not admire them.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Generation Y... Generation X... Baby Boomers... who the hell names this crap? I guess according to Wikipedia I fall in the Y category since I was born in '82. Polls like these are retarded. However I also find it funny how rabid some of the fanatics are on here too. I swear some people actually convince themselves that the Focus accelerates like a Ferrari Enzo, corners like an Ariel Atom V8, and has the interior of a Rolls Royce Phantom.

I just buy what's fun to drive and what's affordable. It's hard to remain loyal to any brand these days because companies are all over the place with their indecisiveness. No company has consistently offered what I want out of a car. Ford dropped the ball with the '08 redesign, and now VW dropped the ball by overpricing the new Golf... so who the hell knows what I'll pick next.

I can understand why Scion is at the top of the list because it provides a nice balance of value, reliability, and fun. They're not cars built for hardcore enthusiasts, but they do offer playful designs that get a strong reaction out of everyone (be it good or bad). Fun can be defined in more ways besides how the car itself drives. The bottom line is that it offers the general population an easy way to have that without the added expenses.

I can also honestly say that I wouldn't mind owning a 2011 Scion tC. You get standard equipment like 180 horsepower engine, double-wishbone rear suspension, disc brakes all around, 18" alloy wheels, panorama moon roof, tons of rear passenger space with reclining rear seats, tons of cargo space with hatchback trunk, etc. I mean yeah the interior quality isn't going to compete with a BMW or Audi, but that's not what the car is about. Despite what the haters say it has sporty characteristics and offers decent value for its price.

And as a disclaimer, yes I agree the previous generation Scions were complete garbage. But I really think they're starting to get their crap together. With the addition of the Scion FR-S (FT86 concept) RWD coupe, it's really going to liven up their portfolio and give them a better reputation for the enthusiast crowd.

Anyway the reason why I say this poll is retarded is because it'll probably be dramatically different next year. As others have already pointed out the 2012 Focus was excluded from the listings, and I think that's going to have a big impact on bringing back young buyers to Ford also. Saying Gen X or Gen Y prefers blah blah blah sounds more like they're running out of article ideas. This just in! Focus Fanatics owners love the Focus!

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
Funny how most of those IMPORTS are made in the USA and the DOMESTICS are made OUTSIDE the USA. I have "learned" many people since 2000 that the Focus has been and always will be an import.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts