Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my new focus for about a month now and unfortunately she is already in the shop for at least a day or two. So I brought her up to the dealership on my day off for two reasons: 1) the headliner around the moonroof rattles a little, when you press on the headliner it sounds like the adhesive used was not applied properly. When pressed you can hear the adhesive come together then a few seconds later come apart. 2) A few weeks ago a noticed a strange sound in the dash/ front floorboard area, the best way I can describe the sound it a screw/rock rolling from on side of the cat to the other. This happens when taking a turn. Technician seemed to think it was possibly a screw dropped during production.

My visit overall to the dealership was pretty satisfactory, my sales person was there on time when they opened as he said he would be. We took a ride in the car so I could show him the problem, of course it took a few sharp turns for the rolling sound I described above the happen. The look on his face was priceless he had no idea what the sound was, though why should he is only a sales person not a car expert. Then he told me to take the car to the extremely large service complex across the street(its a very high volume dealership) so I could show a technician the problem. The ride with the technician went very similarly to the ride with my sales person except it took a little longer to provoke the rolling sound from under the car. When I got back to the service complex my salesperson had already sent someone over with my rental car (2010 Millan), I was happy to see that he was on top of that. So I'm sad that I had to bring my car in this early into my ownership, but I will hold off on passing judgment on Ford until I see the conclusion to the situation.

Just thought I would fill you guys in and see what you thought of these problems I'm having, hope to have my Focus back ASAP!

·
Registered
524 Posts
1. Is a known issue that I believe Ford is already aware of. There is a thread about it here somewhere. Some have even fixed it themselves.
2. Any problem you can clearly show to your dealer/mechanic is more than half the battle. I'd say someone dropped a screw during production and couldn't find where it went. The mechanics should be able to find the screw for you, although it is strange that this is down by the floor boards. Need some X-rays! [:D][:D]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also had the headliner rattle. I took it in on a Friday and they were very busy so they gave me a rental for the weekend. They retuned my car to me on Monday saying that Ford advised that it should be replaced, so the dealer ordered it.

I scheduled an appointment for the next Wednesday for the install. They stated it would take a day. I dropped it off on Wednesday morning when they opened and they spent all day trying to remove the headliner and finally had to contact a Ford engineer for advice. The engineer recommended that the windshield be removed. Now, the dealer had to wait for a third party to come and remove the windshield (I assume since this dealer didn't have a collision center?).

By Friday I got a call that they were ready to install the headliner and when the took it out of the box it had a huge wrinkle in it. Thus, they had to place a second order for the headliner and it was now on backorder. The next Thursday they got the headliner delivered and after having the third party come in and reinstall the windsheild I finally got my car back the following Monday.

Counting both trips, the dealer had my car for a total 16 days for something that was supposed to only take one! It was awful but I guess I should be thankful that my dealer provides rentals as I have read on here that many do not. Hopefully everything goes much smoother for you than it did for me!

·
Banned
571 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. Was it really worth it? Knowing in advance, would you have lived with the problem instead?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. Was it really worth it? Knowing in advance, would you have lived with the problem instead?
If I knew it would have been that long, I wouldn't have done it. It was concerning that they had to remove the windshield, however it seems fine now.

If it would have truly been just a one day fix, it would have totally been worth it to correct the annoying (albeit sporadic) issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wonder what's taking Ford so long with the adhesive problem? It's not like they have the problem in other cars?

800 miles is less than 1 month old, maybe 2, depending on how many miles you drive/month.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My headliner rattle is spreading to the rear of the car by the middle dome light. It gets really embarassing when there is passengers.

Trying to delay my visit as much as I can so I know Ford has a perfect fix...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts