Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a 2009 focus about a month ago and a couple of problems have come to light (similar to initial problems experienced with MK1 focus 10 years ago).

1.) The idle isn't exact i.e. sometimes it's around 700-800, other times it can be just over 1000.
2.) If I'm driving and put the car in neutral (bad habit) the revs rise to about 2500, then there's a click sound and they suddenly drop and sometimes low enough for the car to stall. This process repeats, up down up down etc.

FYI the problem with my old MK1 focus cutting out was the speed sensor. It would cut out when slowing or changing down a gear so wonder if this is similar. Or from what other people have mentioned could be the IACV.

Any help would be appreciated

Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've experienced similar problems with mine. Do you have any good ideas of where to start troubleshooting? Or is it just to find all vacuum and go over it inch by inch?
And how is the best way to troubleshoot a vacuum leak. I've never done it before.
Vacuum leak.
Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
A 500 page book there, you need experience knowing where to check to begin with. Every vacuum hose and attachment point is suspect as well as other engine parts. Some spray carb cleaner around engine critical points and if the idle goes up you found the leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts