Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know every car potentially can be stolen, but is the Focus stolen more or less often than the average car?

I know my POS 1995 Saturn SL was the most stolen car a couple years ago because it was so easy to break into....apparently just because a car is stolen a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean it's worth much or fun to drive. I just want to be aware if the Focus is a target for thieves anywhere. I don't have an SVT or anything, if it makes a difference.

Someone stole my '62 Beetle...I guess it wasn't going to be used as a getaway car, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I live in SE Michigan and I haven't heard of any Focus' being stolen. I know of a few that have been broken into to steal stereo equipment(mine included along with about 100 cd's), but none stolen.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope the thief chooses the least expensive window to break...sometimes it's the little ones by the C pillar that are the most expensive to replace.

Some of my friends in LA leave their car unlocked to cut down on the damage when it's broken into...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Your telling me about those little windows. I had a ZX2 before my Focus and I lost my keys one day in the mountains. I had to break the little windows in the back and it cost me 350, and that was through my friends mom who owns a junk yard. She said those things new went for like 1200.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
jealm said:
Your telling me about those little windows. I had a ZX2 before my Focus and I lost my keys one day in the mountains. I had to break the little windows in the back and it cost me 350, and that was through my friends mom who owns a junk yard. She said those things new went for like 1200.

This guy at work had his 1991 Accord stolen a few months back. They smashed the small window in the rear and used a screwdriver to start the car. They found it the next day. Besides the window and iginition. there was no visible damage, but i'm sure it was beat to all hell. To replace that window that was broken he had to pay $150! It was actually more for that little quarter glass than a regular window door.

I have read on this board, of atleast 2 Focus getting stolen...

---Randy

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Sturge, notice also on the "most stolen" list that many of those cars aren't particularly cool. What they ARE is ver very common. Obviously the more numbers of a certain car, the statistical chance to get one stolen is higher. If there's only 50 of a certain car in America, it can't top the list of msot stolen... unless it's calculated by percentage of stolen/existing models.

The Focus is difficult to steal unless the keys are in the car, because of the PATS chip in the key and ignition. They're not hard to break into though, even without smashing the glass outright. So I guess the moral, trixwagen, is not to worry too much about coming back and not having a car, but avoid keeping expensive things visible in there!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
My assumption would be that those cars even though uncool, are very easy to steal. I'm sure theif's would want an easy car to steal..less time=less chance of getting caught.

---Randy

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
as far as i know i havent heard of any foci being stolen, i did however have my last car broken into, it was an older jeep grand cherokee, they broke the lock out of the driver door with a screw driver, then ripped up my leather and broke my dash all to hell, they also messed up the passenger airbag, needless to say, they got my $150 pioneer cd player from 2 years ago.

·
Registered
758 Posts
i had a Civic, 96' Hatch, it was stolen and they never even broke a window, thieves are preying on the honda's and other common imports more and more and more because theres such a resale on aftermarket parts just about anywhere, thats when i opted to get the SVT and come back to the Blue Oval Market :)

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
My husband is one of these child thugs, LOL, and he tried breaking into mine, he said it's very hard. But anyway ..........let's not getting into what illegal things he's done now, lol.
But yeah, here never heard of it ever being a HOT car...weird. Unless if it had some goodies in it. [;)]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The Focus is a harder car to steal initially because of the door lock system. It is extremely hard to "jimmy" the lock on one, almost impossible. One thing we hate here at work is the rare occasion that one gets locked while out back waiting to be worked on. If it does, we have to cut a new key just to unlock the door.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Because of the commonality of the vehicles on the list there are more needed parts on them and also the theif stands less chance of getting caught driving it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Escalade is one of the most stolen vehicles. You'd think they could figure out how to make a $50K truck harder to steal.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Love your signature HyBalz [thumb]

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
There wouldnt be any car thefts if they made these legal over here-

"Crime-obsessed South Africans have a powerful new weapon with which to stop likely criminals: the car flamethrower.

Casting a man-high fireball, reportedly with no damage to the paint, the Blaster has been placed on 25 South African vehicles since its introduction last month.

At 3,900 rand ($655), it offers a cheap, dramatic defense against carjackers. It has yet to be deemed illegal.

South African courts allow killing if convinced that it's in self-defense. The defense is not unheard of. In last year's 13,000 carjackings, criminals often brandished weapons or used them with little provocation.

The Blaster squirts liquefied gas from a bottle in the automobile's trunk through two nozzles, located under the front doors. The gas is then ignited by an electric spark, with fiery consequences.

Both sides flame at the same time, regardless of whether the attack is coming from just one side of the vehicle, or whether passersby are on the other side. But the breadth and depth of blast can be modified according to individual preference". -
CNN
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/#1

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
They also have these metal rods that swing out from under the car with huge force, breaking the legs of the would-be carjackers.

They get what they deserve too, IMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts