Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Focus ZX4 2.0 140,000 miles.

My Focus has a very slow acceleration especially at take off. I can floor my gas pedal and it slowly picks up speed. Sometimes when I try to go from 50 to 60 mph I have to floor it and it gets there but the car jerks. The only mod I did was attach a k&n air filter to the tube under the air intake box. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its been my experience so far, driving an '07, that just flooring the gas pedal from a start will almost always just bog the engine and it almost feels like its struggling.

I've found that if you start off with less throttle, and when you feel that sweet spot in the torque, just keep giving it more gas and "follow" that sweet spot.

Not sure if i'm explaining very well. I've driven my car for 2 years now and i still haven't totally perfected it. Takes practice and you have to know the car. Try that out and let me know how it goes! Literally lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
You could also try practicing a break start. Where you hold the brake down and rev the engine to about 2500rpm, then drop the break and go for it but i suggest still using the method in my other post along with this. The results make me smile

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hmmm. My 2007 SES ATX has absolutely no bogging or any other problem when flooring the accelerator. It's completely stock. >85k miles. Bought it in 2009 with <6k miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I've noticed that giving it a little gas gets it going but it doesn't have the power it used to have. Is bogging a common issue with these cars?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
By the looks of it this has been an ongoing problem for a while, appears since early 2012 (best of my searching).

So to me it sounds like maybe that's how the car is and you just think it should be better ... have you driven other Foci similar to yours to compare?

Also, being you have given no real resolution to other threads of similar content, I have to question the spark plugs and ignition coil boots.
My guess is that the boots should be replaced and that the correct spark plugs should be used ... you mentioned trying Bosch platinum but no mention of what you eventually did use.

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
A lot has to do with engine age and ring seal. The earlier ones commonly show the problem getting at 100K miles and even more at 125+. At least if at very low rpm (coming off traffic light) and a/c is on. I was cursing mine today, normal, the engines lose pep once the ring seal goes away a bit even though they can run for many thousands more miles. Hot day plus a/c is the bad combo, going up say an overpass bridge after left turn at light much worse, every one of my zetecs do it. The engines are quite simply too small and have no power to give away when they wear. 2.3s should be better about it than 2.0s.

Now, 50 to 60 is an altogether different issue, they make power there and should not do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts