Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently driving my fourth Focus. 2001 sedan (I forget the sport model designation), '05 ST (loved it, someone totaled it while parked), '07 SE (it's what the insurance settlement paid for.

And, now a 2014 SE hatch, sport package (wanted the four-wheel disc brakes), and a stick!

I love the car, particularly with the stick. It fits my mindset for a fun, all-purpose vehicle, as has every Focus that proceeded it.

Here is the question. Since I am a referee who officiates college sports contests, often during winter, I have always used a set of "steelies," with Blizzaks mounted. I have been happy with that.

My '14 Focus has a five-bolt wheel pattern, not the old four-bolt wheel. I am willing to buy new wheels (maybe decent wheels).

The Blizzaks that I have are still good for another season.

The "old size" tire size for sporty Foci was 205-50/16. I downsized my snow tires to 195-60/15, and I intend to buy 15-inch wheels for my new car.

With my new Focus running 215-55/16 tires, I am wondering if running my 195-60/15 Blizzaks is doable. I know if I drop minus-one from my current size, that would be 205-65/15.

So, would you run my tires, until I need a new set? I wouldn't mind a bit of speedo discrepancy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply....I did see that. I know that I would be a little low, and a little wide. I'm wondering if I could run them for a season, then change. If not such a good idea, I'll look at new snow tires. I have had great results with Blizzaks, though I would be open to suggestions.

Maybe I will post the old set for sale on the cheap, and use the money from that towards a new setup.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Only a size wider than that other poster, std. width at 195 for you.

One half range lower from the profile (60's instead of 65's).

Rough estimate you'd be 2-3 mph off at 55-60 on the slow side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Sailor! 2-3 MPH discrepancy wouldn't bother me. My three previous Foci were off by that amount with summer tires, though the '14 in on the nose.

Thinking that I will run my current Blizzaks for one more season, then grab a new set in the "recommended" size.

In my mind, decent winter tires on all four corners is the only way to go if you have to get around where it snows moderately or worse.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's the only thing that really works, the only downside is getting stuck behind traffic on bald tires/summers that can't move when you could drive as if the road is only wet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts