Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else been seeing these ads for a supposed class action lawsuit against Ford for the DCT? If so, do you think anything will come from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w/ my magic bag
So we've lost all hope in Ford?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I wouldn't say that= fost,fist,Mustang including the Shelby's, Fusion sport, sho & of course the Super Duty's....

Registered
Ford could solve problem easily---EXTEND ALL WARRANTIES ON THE DCT FOR TEN YEARS 200K MILES!! UNCONDITIONALLY( quietly have them all fixed which we hope the "B") clutch is) & by word of mouth reliability & dependability will climb back but we won't complain because we are protected! That is what Hyundai did & VW is doing now!!

w/ my magic bag
I meant in reference to the DCT. I still love Ford though!

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
If your wanting a auto, a Cruze or Verono would work. You'd get a 250 horse turboed Verona w/ a auto too......

w/ my magic bag
The DCT is on it's way out. It's going to be replaced by the 6F15 automatic trans from the 1.0ltr EcoBoost...

And vehicle prices will go up even more....
You'd think Ford would of had a similar trans for '12....Could of even used the older 4spd one....Yea IK the media & some ppl would of bitched, but at least Ford wouldn't have had all the issues as well as the customers.

Registered
You'd think Ford would of had a similar trans for '12....Could of even used the older 4spd one....Yea IK the media & some ppl would of bitched, but at least Ford wouldn't have had all the issues as well as the customers.
6F35 would have been a better option than the DPS6.... The 6F35 would be a better option than the 6F15...lol Only the US models seem to have major issues from what I hear.

Registered
Only the US models seem to have major issues from what I hear.
No - it's worldwide. I have friend in the UK with the same issues as here in the US. There's also a class action in Australia.

I'm part of the class 'Vargas vs Ford Motor Co.' by virtue of the two DCT equipped cars I used to own. Ford is proposing to settle this case out-of-court in October without admitting wrongdoing or admitting any safety hazard (that's always the type of language used in out-of-court settlements but the bastards at Ford corporate should have ridden in my daughter's Fiesta to put the fear of God in them - it was clearly a safety hazard!). Anyhow, from the wording of the proposed settlement I will be getting a cash payment anywhere between $250 and $3000. Nice, but frankly I was more relieved the day I sold the second of those two pos cars last year. And I won't be forgiving Ford any time soon either.

And since i'm an engineer, once the case is settled I would sure like to hear from a current or former Ford engineer about how this situation developed - why these issues were not discovered in testing (or were they?) and how and why the diagnosis and solution were so slow to be developed....

Registered
No - it's worldwide. I have friend in the UK with the same issues as here in the US. There's also a class action in Australia.

I'm part of the class 'Vargas vs Ford Motor Co.' by virtue of the two DCT equipped cars I used to own. Ford is proposing to settle this case out-of-court in October without admitting wrongdoing or admitting any safety hazard (that's always the type of language used in out-of-court settlements but the bastards at Ford corporate should have ridden in my daughter's Fiesta to put the fear of God in them - it was clearly a safety hazard!). Anyhow, from the wording of the proposed settlement I will be getting a cash payment anywhere between $250 and $3000. Nice, but frankly I was more relieved the day I sold the second of those two pos cars last year. And I won't be forgiving Ford any time soon either.

And since i'm an engineer, once the case is settled I would sure like to hear from a current or former Ford engineer about how this situation developed - why these issues were not discovered in testing (or were they?) and how and why the diagnosis and solution were so slow to be developed....
Ford didn't develop the transmission or clutch "in house". It was handled by another company. Obviously the wrong company... Can't remember the name off hand. The stock clutches in older manual trans Foci were produced by LuK. Unfortunately, the DCT clutch was not.

A lot of the problems have to do with how the vehicles are driven. We've seen them exhibit a shudder as early as 5,000 miles and as late as 150,000 miles.

Registered

Yes, I received a postcard in regard to the pending settlement. I do not know what does it mean and anything I have to do? My car was having problems again after they had replaced the TCM and clutches. Now it is just sitting at home.

Registered
I got the postcard as well. My Focus hasn't had DCT problems requiring a service visit, and my read of both the postcard version and the full settlement posted on the website is that you get nothing unless you've had to take your Focus to the dealership 3 or more times, and BOTH of the following apply:

For Transmission Repairs:
1. You received service for DCT problems
2. One or more specific DCT part was replaced on EVERY visit

For TCM Reprogramming:
1. You received service for DCT problems
2. Your TCM was reprogrammed on EVERY visit

It looks like you can make claims for either of the above scenarios, as long as:

1. All visits occurred while your vehicle was within 7 years/100000 miles of delivery to the first retail customer (ie from when it was first sold, brand new)

A. For past repairs, you must make your claim within 180 days of the settlement approval date. IE 6 mo or so from October 2017.
B. For future repairs, you must make your claim within 180 days of the repair. The settlement notice isn't very clear on whether this means within 180 days of the QUALIFYING repair, but I assume so. IE, you take your vehicle in 2 times and parts are replaced, and then the 3rd time it happens, you have 180 days to make a claim.

Registered
I just had my third clutch put in my 2012 in the year that I have owned it. The last two were the "B" version that everyone had such high hopes for.

I submitted a claim as part of this settlement today. Cash payments start at the third major transmission repair while it is still within the extended warranty period. Major components that qualify are things like the clutch, TCM (hardware), shaft seals, etc. One thing to keep in mind that I found out after the fact is that if you have multiple major items replaced in the same visit, it only counts as one. I had a TCM and a clutch replaced on the last repair but it would have been better to have it done on two separate visits in terms of what you get back as part of this settlement.

There is also a separate set of payments to those who have had a bunch of TCM reprograms and also an option to opt for an arbitrated buyback of your vehicle by Ford.

Registered
I have a 2014 that has had three clutch replacements so far. I noticed a couple weeks ago that they have been taking claims since October, so I filled out and sent in the "CLAIM FORM FOR FIRST REQUEST FOR CASH PAYMENTS/VEHICLE DISCOUNT
CERTIFICATES FOR TRANSMISSION HARDWARE REPLACEMENTS". With that one, they are pretty much just giving you something for your inconvenience.

However, the third replacement was paid for out of my pocket because it was out of warranty. There is verbiage in the settlement that states you can get paid back for out of pocket replacements, and figured they would see on the paperwork submitted that there was an amount paid out.

Now I noticed that there is another claim form you can fill out, CLAIM FORM FOR REIMBURSEMENT FOR CLUTCH REPLACEMENT. Should I be filling out this form in addition to the other, or in place of it? Are you entitled to the 3 or more replacements settlement AND the reimbursement of out of warranty clutch replacements, or is it one or the other?

Anyone else sent in a claim yet that has the same situation?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts