Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, and looking at a '13 se 5sp with 17k that is out of town. I test drove a bare bones '13 S 5sp with 14k just to see how they drove. The one I test drove had a rpm surge in between shifts when I let off thethrottle to shift. Is this common? It was awkward and distracting and made me not want a focus if they are all like that. I was a little disappointed after the great reviews the I have read about the 5sp focus. Also, should I expect any better ride quality or performance between s and se?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'll find you need to get off the gas a little early to avoid a bump in rpm between gears, they've been working this way far quite a while now. The "rev hang" is related to emissions delay in reducing rpm, and has been going on for years now (mine does it).

Another time you'd notice this is when taking your foot off the pedal to slow down, any engine braking is delayed for a bit before deceleration starts.

'12 + models have more of a rep. for this, supposedly to help shifting it can annoy experienced drivers.

Look in the MkIII section & search "rev. hang" for older threads.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There's at least one more thread about this somewhere. Some have reported a hanging throttle when the clutch is in. But then others, like me, have no trace of this at all. When my foot comes off the accelerator, revs drop like a stone (mine's a '13 SE hatchback).

Given that, I don't buy that this is emissions related. If I were buying a used car, I'd insist that they fix this before I drove it away, or I'd keep looking for another without this symptom.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I have a 2013 SE Hatch with the MTX-75 manual and I have never noticed any rev hang. I have been driving manual transmissions longer than I care to admit.

I am puzzled why some cars do this and others don't.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
I have a 2013 SE Hatch with the MTX-75 manual and I have never noticed any rev hang. I have been driving manual transmissions longer than I care to admit.

I am puzzled why some cars do this and others don't.
They all have it it's just some less experienced drivers don't let off the throttle quick enough when shifting so it causes and rpm bump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts