Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, here's my problem. Got a 2000 Focus se 2.0 zetec.
At start up the engine is cool it runs great for about a minute, then while idiling the engine starts to lope and run rough.
Has no codes set but still thought I would change the TPS but no change in running. I have changed the obvious like spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter.
Compression is 180 to 200 psi on all cylinders.
I hooked my scanner up and data shows timing jumping from 25 to 35 degrees. I am not sure this is a true reading because the ingine idiling is not constant.
Could timing belt have maybe jumped a tooth or two?
I am pretty sure the fuel injectors are doing their thing by listening to them through stehoscope but could be wrong.
So far I have only spent about seventy bucks on parts but I really hate to go much further until I have a better idea of whats going on so I was hoping someone else may have been here before.
I read a lot of the post here but haven't found any yet that match my problem but I am still going through them.
I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions
Thanks

Also fuel pressure is 38 to 39 psi.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I doubt it's a timing belt issue since it idles fine cold. It might be the the DPFE malfunctiong cuase the coputer to open the egr at idle of maybe the egr is sticking open slightly at idle, See if the egr opens and stalls the motor by takign a hose and ataching it to the egr where the vaccum line goes and suck on it and see if the idle changes, if it doesn't and idles the same then the egr isn't working, if it chages then the dpfe probably needs to be replaed, also see what the voltage is at idle from the DPFE at idle if it reads 5 volts then it's bad.

Also check the pcv vaccum line on the back of the intake they tend to rip since oil makes the rubber soft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will try those things Monday. I kind of doubted the belt also but wasn't sure. Anyway if this don't work I will let you know and go from there.
Thanks again

·
Registered
471 Posts
EGR only opens up when you are moving at high speeds, over 60 km/h i believe. One thing for sure, it stays closed when at idle. As far as i know. So i do not think it is you problem. Did you have your fuel pump replaced or is still stock ? There was a recall.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
EGR only opens up when you are moving at high speeds, over 60 km/h i believe. One thing for sure, it stays closed when at idle. As far as i know. So i do not think it is you problem. Did you have your fuel pump replaced or is still stock ? There was a recall.

I can be the EGR if it sticking at idle which would cuase an unmetered air leakand can cuase rough idle and possible stall out a motor, and you are correct it only opens when a certain point while under a load to reduce NOX in the combustion chamber and other unburned gases.

It sounds like either a EGR problem or a vaccum leak could cause this problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally after hours of searching I think I got it. It was sitting there idiling and I could hear the faintest hiss and I mean faint so got to feeling around and found the leak where the hose from the pcv makes a bend just before entering the manifold. Thing is that was not the big problem and you was dead on it BMARTIN the hose was not only leaking but the big thing was it was collasped from where it has been soaked in oil. I could cover the hole and straighten the hose and it starts to idle smooth so tomorrow I will replace the hose.
I do appreciate it because I was about ready to carry it in and I really didn't want to do that.
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Cool. Glad to help. You can make your own hose since that hose is a stepped hose, I don't know why ford make a hose go from a samll diameter to a larger diameter and but a 90 degree bend on top of it. It will last longer if you get a 90 degree reducer from the intake to the pcv hose made out of metaland hose clamp the connections, that's what I did to my old ZX3 when it did the same thing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For my 2001 ZX3, coming off the backside of the metal tube, I have a hose with some thermal foil wrap type product around it. This hose runs from the tube on around to the back of the Intake manifold. I would bet it is OEM, but I have recently purchased this car and so do not know for sure.

I have read the stories about a collapsed hose, but it difficult for me to determine exactly what is going on inside of that thermal wrap. So, if you have the hose with the thermal wrap does this mean you do not need to be concerned about the PCV hose collapse issue?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts