Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback. But just out of curiosity I visited the 2015 Ford Focus build website and was dismayed to learn I could not replace my car if I needed to. The models offered had changed, the packages had changed, some things are not even available! Yes there were some new things BUT not anything I cared about. Some people advise do not be an early adopter. Let the bugs get worked out. Yes I had a clutch pack replaced. Car shifts fine now and I love driving it. The point is that if I had waited I wouldn't have the car I love! It seems the first year of the redo - 2012- had more choices and more flexibility. If you find a car with everything you want, BUY IT. Don't wait until next year or you might be disappointed. I don't know what Ford is thinking, but their strategy might cost them some sales.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I love my 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback. But just out of curiosity I visited the 2015 Ford Focus build website and was dismayed to learn I could not replace my car if I needed to. The models offered had changed, the packages had changed, some things are not even available! Yes there were some new things BUT not anything I cared about. Some people advise do not be an early adopter. Let the bugs get worked out. Yes I had a clutch pack replaced. Car shifts fine now and I love driving it. The point is that if I had waited I wouldn't have the car I love! It seems the first year of the redo - 2012- had more choices and more flexibility. If you find a car with everything you want, BUY IT. Don't wait until next year or you might be disappointed. I don't know what Ford is thinking, but their strategy might cost them some sales.
This is unlikely to cost them any sales, as it was the first year of the MK3 where they honed in on the features that sell and did not sell.

The few things that were "de-contented" were the slow selling paint colors of Frosted Glass and Yellow Blaze Tri-coat metallic, the auto-dimming mirror they had people complaining all the time of drooping, and the rain sensing wipers.

The Focus SE got up-contented for 2013 by making several key options in 2012 standard equipment including alloy wheels, cruise control, and sync with myford. They did however lose the fog lights unless you upgraded to the 201A package which essentially gave you the SEL 302A package contents from 2012 and made MFT available on an SE as an additional option along with the dual zone climate control, etc.

If anything they will sell more cars at a lower cost to manufacture the simpler they make the options lists.

Sure if you were like me and wanted Frosted Glass with rear disk brakes in a hatchback you had to get an SEL in 2012 which came with sync w/myford and the dual zone climate control but did not require MFT at the time, but not enough people ordered or bought cars that way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but

Yes I wanted the Frosted Glass, the stone interior, the rear disk brakes, the rain sensing wipers, the dual temp controls, the auto dimming mirror, the 17 inch wheels, the heated leather seats. It was everything I wanted. I love the rain sensing wipers. When the thought crosses my mind I need the wipers on, yup there they go, I don't even need to fiddle with the control. I like that. The mirror is great. It needs no adjustment for night. It hasn't fallen down either. I love that I got sync without MFT. It saved me one big headache. Okay I can admit I may not be following the crowd here but it is nice to have options. It seems the first year of a new model may be the best time to find them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Two of the features I like best about my SEL are the auto-dimming rear view mirror and the rain sensing wipers. The wipers, in particular, come in handy here in Portland.

With the SEL, I was able to get exactly the feature set I wanted without having to take features I didn't want, like push-button start.

I don't know if getting rid of the SEL trim level or things like rain sensing wipers was a good idea or not, but I do know that if I were looking to replace my car right now I would probably have to look somewhere other than Ford to find the content I want.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
This is what Ford advertised when the MK3 Focus debut in North America
"Setting a new standard in the small car segment, the Focus offers more
technology and features than more expensive European cars"

De-contenting for whatever excuse is going backwards, and lets the competition move ahead. And like the original poster to be disappointed when looking to replace his current Focus with a new one , only to find out that it lacks features his old car has.

Not deal breaking to some, but to him/her it matters.

Auto-dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers are common features expected in this day and age of cars, so for Ford to eliminate them on a car that used to lead the compact car class when it debut looks bad IMO.

·
Registered
627 Posts
So I just took a look at the 2015 options ... I could get the same car with more options.

I looked for what I have, 2012, SE w/5-spd, sport and winter package with moonroof.

So if I was to get a 2015 it seems to have everything that my 2012 does but also has the ambient lighting and leather seats. And if I wanted MFT I could get the dual climate control which is tempting.

IIRC, MSRP is about the same also.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You guys make it sound like the car was cheapened up for 2015 by the removal of 'desirable' options. The cars are never the same from year to year and this is 3 years newer than your 2012. I do not see a lot of SEL's out driving around (nor 'S's' for that matter). I see SE or Titanium mostly.

So Ford 'decontented' the car by adding new sound deadening in to make the car even quieter... They added a heated steering wheel on the only car on the planet that you can get heated seats and heated wheel now in cloth trim without having to buy leather or the 'luxury' package. Added is the 1.0L 6-speed powertrain. The sedan gets a body kit like the ST. Navigation is available on the SE now.

Who wants to walk in 3 years later and buy the same exact car anyway? That is certain death in a market like the Focus. Rainsense wipers, auto dimming mirror, and HID headlights are something I would have not even noticed are no longer available. I did notice the heated wheel, 1.0L, and body kit right away, and I was shocked to find out that Ford actually ADDED cost with new sound deadening. That is not a company standing still or trying to cheapen the car...they are keeping it fresh.

·
Registered
289 Posts
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."

Buick used to offer this:

But shortly after the '89 model year they discontinued it. Some technology, while great, isn't always fit for mass production. Especially when profit margins are involved.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know time marches on and times change. I was just saying if you find something you like buy it now. Don't wait for possible improvements in the next model year. Also when the first year a model comes out it might be a good time to buy - you get the most options. I may already have the sound deadening in my SEL that they added to the SE. I have a leather wrapped steering wheel which is better then the old cold plastic. A heated steering wheel is nice but not at the expense of other features to me. I do think ford is emphasizing the econobox/sporty side of the focus and not emphasizing luxury and comfort. Especially now that they got rid of Mercury where are those buyers suppose to go? Will I have to consider a Buick Verano? Maybe Ford has figured this all into their strategy and are willing to see customers leave. They will gain more customers with another emphasis. I love my Ford Focus. I have no plans to replace it. I like how my dealer salesman/repair service treated me. But if I can't get the car I want I might look elsewhere. I don't think Lincoln has a focus alternative. I spend a lot of time in my car. I want to be comfortable and enjoy it and yes maybe even feel a little pampered.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at the buick verano website. They offer some features that I would love to see on the focus. Ford PLEASE bring back the SEL. I don't want a German luxury car for sporty driving. Had a volkswagon. Talk about a hole in your wallet. Sheesh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know time marches on and times change. I was just saying if you find something you like buy it now. Don't wait for possible improvements in the next model year. Also when the first year a model comes out it might be a good time to buy - you get the most options. I may already have the sound deadening in my SEL that they added to the SE. I have a leather wrapped steering wheel which is better then the old cold plastic. A heated steering wheel is nice but not at the expense of other features to me. I do think ford is emphasizing the econobox/sporty side of the focus and not emphasizing luxury and comfort. Especially now that they got rid of Mercury where are those buyers suppose to go? Will I have to consider a Buick Verano? Maybe Ford has figured this all into their strategy and are willing to see customers leave. They will gain more customers with another emphasis. I love my Ford Focus. I have no plans to replace it. I like how my dealer salesman/repair service treated me. But if I can't get the car I want I might look elsewhere. I don't think Lincoln has a focus alternative. I spend a lot of time in my car. I want to be comfortable and enjoy it and yes maybe even feel a little pampered.
What bothers me is that the Focus is the ONLY FORD CAR that DOES NOT offer the auto-dimming mirror. It's available even in the Fiesta. This does not make sense to me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with the OP to a certain extent.

These are features that are almost standard, or at least optional features, in cars of the same category... why take these features away entirely?

I personally don't like HIDs, but that's just my personal preference. However, I don't think it's wise to not have that as an available option for those like the OP who do like them.

Ford kind of dropped the ball on that one, even though it doesn't impact me in anyway. Just seems like a silly decision to make if you're trying to push the car harder in a pretty hot segment.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think one thing that goofs the Focus a bit vs. other cars is the ST...its really just another trim level i.e. HIDs, 6-speed vs. 5, etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think one thing that goofs the Focus a bit vs. other cars is the ST...its really just another trim level i.e. HIDs, 6-speed vs. 5, etc.
Well I'm sure there's a lot more it to that, like how it's tuned, tweaked, and all of what entails the overall performance.

If it was just a higher trim, why would it be sold as an entirely different car?

·
Registered
326 Posts
i really can't believe ford would remove some of the more functional options after '12

home link (don't think that's currently available), auto-dim mirror, auto wipers...those are some great technologies that i think are really beneficial

i can't imagine that the cost would be so prohibitive...especially if offered as options

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well I'm sure there's a lot more it to that, like how it's tuned, tweaked, and all of what entails the overall performance.

If it was just a higher trim, why would it be sold as an entirely different car?
Yes, of course..the performance is a big part of it but it also gives of the options like HID etc. which was my point. When you go to build a Focus ST on the Ford site, its still under the general Focus build and sold like a different trim level i.e. S, SE, Titanium, or ST.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the auto-dim mirror in my 2011 Fusion. It is worthless.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind..what is the target customer for this car? Its honestly not the high-end market (i.e. VW etc.)...its low-end rental cars and folks buying the more basic trim levels where these options aren't a huge seller so they discontinue them. I have a loaded SE; it was $18.9K before taxes, DMV fees, etc. That is not that much for a car nowadays. Sure, I would like Homelink and a auto-dimming mirror, or maybe rain-sensing wipers but folks that want all of these things are likely going to buy a different car (Fusion maybe?). I think that is the key...I looked at a Golf TDI and it was ~$25K and it came with more of these creature comforts...but it was ~$8K more!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts