Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive the 2012 Focus SEL Hatch and I'm totally new to the "learning" DCT 6spd Auto Trans. I know AutoX requires on demand power and response. How do you get passed the studder on take off and power response?

I am a Focus newbie and used to foreign cars. I love this new community feel and all of your have been very nice and hospitable.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Just put it in S mode. It will hold gears for you. If you find that the transmission doesn't act the way you want it to, then consider using select-shift.

Honestly, the select shift is not ideal for autocross because you really need your hands and the stupid freaking buttons on the side of the shifter are not appropriate. Paddle shifters would be nice, or maybe a sequential style shifter movement with a +/-

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just put it in S mode. It will hold gears for you. If you find that the transmission doesn't act the way you want it to, then consider using select-shift.

Honestly, the select shift is not ideal for autocross because you really need your hands and the stupid freaking buttons on the side of the shifter are not appropriate. Paddle shifters would be nice, or maybe a sequential style shifter movement with a +/-
You have a good idea, Paddle shifters! Listen up Ford!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm actually putting the paddle shifter buttons in my 12. spent this weekend racing, and the tranny had to of killed at least 2 seconds each run when it was hunting for the "correct" gear. and it is extremely hard to drive with one hand on the wheel, and one on the shifter.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I ran my first autox event couple weeks ago and can't confirm that there is almost no take off power after coming out of a turn if you're in regular drive mode. i'd recommend using selectshift and staying in 2nd gear, you wont need to go any higher than that in autox.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Buy a manual and eliminate the DCT woes or even possible failure. The DCT is awful for autoxing as my friend (an experienced autoxer) gave it a whirl in his 2014 and it stumbled around even in selecta-shift.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I AutoX my 2012 SE with DCT. Its not ideal, but can work once you get used to it. In S Mode you can launch hard (In First hold brake with left foot, floor it then release brake to launch). The key is getting used to the S Mode delay especially on downshifts, its takes between 1/4 - 2/3 second from when you push button for the car to actually shift. Once you get used to the timing it works pretty good.

On a side note; even with traction control off the computer seems to get confused about 1/2 through a run if you are loosing traction frequently (not ideal to lose traction in most scenarios). The first 2-3 turns I can get the rear end to break loose by lifting mid corner; but I noticed about half way through a run I can no longer get the same effect; its like the computer wakes up and says NO, you Can Not drive like this... LOL.

·
FF Affiliate
30,365 Posts
With my custom tune you can use S mode and it will shift when you tell it to or 6500 which ever comes first , I hated how stock it shifts on its own

I can also quicken up the shifting and a lot of other things

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts