Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
[scratch] i find it strange that i can't use my helmet that i use riding a GSX-R 600 that's more dangerous and MUCH faster than my car but its not good enough to wear racing my slow car at a road course? [confused] [}:)]
The issue isn't one of impact resistance, but rather providing the driver enough protection to get out of a car in the case of fire.

SA helmets are lined with Nomex, fire retardant material, whereas motorcycle helmets are not.

Some clubs allow M rated helmets to be used given that drivers are only wearing long pants and long sleeve cotton shirts as opposed to full driving suits.

Personally, I think it is a bit overkill, but at the same time I see its purpose.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
sorry cant go- no job = no fun
whiuch = finding work and moving ,,,again

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Are ride - alongs permitted?
As I understand it from Nik and from Chris, ride-alongs are permitted in instructor cars ONLY.

I am instructing at this event and would be happy to take people along if time/students permit.

My first obligation is to the student(s) I get assigned.

However, it has been my experience that there is usually time for people to hitch a ride.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
I will before this weekend.

I committed to instruct, but then ran into issues with the house and changing jobs.

I will be there though.

Also, if anyone needs to do mechanical prep, repair or otherwise, we have a fully equipped garage if anyone needs to do anything to get ready.

Full set of tools, air tools, etc...

So, let me know if you need support and we can help.

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
I soooo wish I could go to this, but my clutch is on it's last leg after the last autocross, I boost, it slips. You guys have fun now, and see if you can get some pictures. [thumb]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
You don't have to run, just come and hang out.

From the organizer:

We just confirmed that the television show "RedlineTV", as seen on SPEED, will be at the Summit Point event capturing footage for a future 30 minute episode covering the entire event! This is great news for all Time Attack fans and enthusiasts as the sport of Time Attack racing continues to gather attention and continues to grow!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
That's AWESOME!

I just hope my brakes get here in time...

If they aren't here by Tuesday, I'll be buying another set from the dealer. [boxface]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I might need to borrow them. Changed to my track brakes, and was cleaning them off / re-bedding them in, and one of my wheels locked up under a heavy 60-0 stop.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Just got confirmation that my brakes will be her TOMORROW !!

[woot]

Happy to loan you pads or whatever you need if it is in my ability!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
I might need to borrow them. Changed to my track brakes, and was cleaning them off / re-bedding them in, and one of my wheels locked up under a heavy 60-0 stop.
I'll do what I can. Brakes are changed out.

I have another OEM set that is at about 30%. So that might get you through.

ROUGHLY 48 hours to go!!

I am stoked !!

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I think Aaron & I might be stopping by for a while. Just to spectate of course.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It was great event, at a great track, with great weather. 5 cars lined up for the challenge but my car died due to a bad alternator. But I did get 3 30 minute sessions in so I was able to learn the track for the most part and Hal took me to autozone twice for an alternator and Brian swapped it in. Nothing like having great trackside support.

SeanMc took the win with a 1:47 something.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
It was a GREAT time. Enjoyed meeting everyone and hanging out.

Driving was awesome too. We have some REALLY talented drivers in the FJ and our community.

Results expanded:

Raw Times -

Sean
1:47.423
1:47.800
1:47.987

Dave Lantz (blueovaldave)
1:48.315
1:49.510
1:48.878

Tom Newman (Wee Asp)
1:54.636
1:52.697
1:52.631

Joe Eggert (Egz)
1:55.098
1:57.758

Going from the handicaps posted here, that's:

Sean (hdcp 5.8)
1:41.623

Tom (hdcp 8)
1:44.631

Dave (hdcp 2.55)
1:45.765

Egz (hdcp 1)
1:54.098

As soon as I can figure out why my PC can't see my video camera, I'll be posting up in car and other track footage.

Exciting times when an EVO grenades the motor in front of you...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts