Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dealt with a Focus Central Throttle Body Spring breaking on them? Engine revved to the sky and the beast could not be tamed until I cut the engine by shutting it off!

This is a good throttle body but the spring is a POS evidently..... does anyone have any workarounds? Where can I get a new spring? Thoughts?

PLEASE HELP!! Thanks....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Guess it doesn't matter I just have a 70MM spring but I am guessing there all the same.

Also

http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Tension...d=1408789022&sr=8-8&keywords=throttle+springs

Found it quick look around for the best deals, sure ebay has a counter offer. They're called Throttle Springs so good luck hope you get it running. Just looked at mine also and IF YOU NEED TO, looks like you can jerry rig it with a rubber band.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
In the olden days (carburetors) we always used two throttle return springs in case of this very situation.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I can Jerry Rig this one...... the spring broke complete off!

I'm going to try that spring on Amazon...... How would you take this thing apart though? I see there are 2 Alan key bits on the butterfly valve..... take off the TPS, but it looks like theres a bearing in the other side. Thoughts?

·
Registered
372 Posts
On my 70MM there a nut that you can take off... Looks like you just take the bolt off and it pops out... Cannot tell you on yours with the picture you've taken.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
I've taken a few stock throttle bodies apart, you might be able to use a stock spring.

It's been a long time since I've done it, so I might be missing a step, but it's pretty easy... take off the TPS, pry the star retainer thing out, remove the butterfly, knock the shaft out.

Thing is, I can't remember if the bearing was at the linkage end and came out the bottom... or if the bearing was at the TPS and slides out of the shaft. I have one in pieces (somewhere).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Shaft is fixed to the end pictured, remove throttle plate & slide it out for spring replacement.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
William at C-F-M can have one out in the mail tomorrow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I emailed him! No response..... I'll try again :(

I've got a jimmy fix so far... picked up a $10 spring from a parts store (Lordco) and got a zip-tie loop around a brake hard line.... and a spring hooked around the zip-tie and the throttle body.

Works PERFECTLY, but my only question is for how long. Plus using the Brake hard line for a spring point is a bit sketchy.....

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Did you call him?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to get in touch with him and actually JUST purchased the spring. It was $15 for the spring and that includes first class shipping.

Car is back on the road with a $9 ghetto fix that works (quite well actually) but I'd rather have this spring put in so I dont have a ghetto fix in there..... I can post a pic of my ghetto fix for y'all to have a bit of a laugh, but hey.... it works!! Feels very tight on the throttle pedal too!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I am glad to have pointed you in the right direction. C-F-M has excellent customer service.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Post a pic

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Remove the intake hose please. I need to see the intake butterfly plate to be sure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks EXACTLY like my Focus Central Throttle Body, but in black instead of blue. EVerything looks the same... position of the cable mounts, the look of the spring, the shape of the cable mount thingy...... I would bet money that thats a FC TB. Get a new spring now before it breaks! lol

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
I wonder if its a CFM because they all come in black and they have the same single spring like the FC version.

I used to own a FC throttle body and comparing it to CFMs, I always wondered if both throttle bodies were from the same blueprint. Like if FC sold CFM the rights when they went under...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts