Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just placed an order for the Focus Central Cold air intake for my PZEV. I will post install pics, before....during...and after...as soon as its shipped to me, and let you know if it makes any difference. Check out the link if N E 1 is interested. (Hope the link works...if not go to Focus-Central and click on extras.)

http://www.focus-central.com/catalog/details.asp?cid=8&sid=&pid=97

[cool]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Neat, looks like the one I just made myself, except mine is aluminum and has its own MAFS adapter, instead of using the stock one. (which I should have considered of doing.... oh well)

An intake really wakes up the car. First and second gear are amazing now.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If it's like my short intake, fitting that MAF is a bia. Mines not FC though...it's generic off ebay, but it was still pretty $hitty!

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The PZEV MAF adapter is a bit different from the Zetec. Its longer (like 8 or so inches), and it also has a small bend in it, as well as narrowing down to 2.25 inches ID in the center for the MAFS.

It should be pretty easy to bolt up.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
laloggia said:
Hello everyone, I just placed an order for the Focus Central Cold air intake for my PZEV. I will post install pics, before....during...and after...as soon as its shipped to me, and let you know if it makes any difference. Check out the link if N E 1 is interested. (Hope the link works...if not go to Focus-Central and click on extras.)

http://www.focus-central.com/catalog/details.asp?cid=8&sid=&pid=97

8-10HP? I'm with Focaltech - let's see some dyno curves!

·
Registered
845 Posts
The Zetec's is like 6 inches long and narrows immensly at the MAFS. No bends in it, but one end is significantly smaller than the other. I shoved the wide end into my new cone filter...it wasn't easy. I also had to stretch the rubber elbow that attaches to the TB to fit the intake tube because it wasn't pre-assembled (that was really difficult also...I stretched it by sliding it on a vise and opening the vise...it was still difficult though). Good luck with yours! Maybe it will be easier to install since it's not a cheap ebay intake.

I got the ebay one because I figured what's the difference, a short intake is a short intake right....I guess the difference is ease of installation.

Doesn't the long tube (CAI) have a new bracket to mount the MAFS onto without the stock bracket?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
GonFishin said:

Doesn't the long tube (CAI) have a new bracket to mount the MAFS onto without the stock bracket?
No, FC's intake isn't like the AEM for the Zetec.

The top part clamps to the TB and the MAFS adapter clamps to it, and then the lower piece clamps to the adapter.

Kinda like this, except there is the lower pipe in place of the filter:

That image is of the Marcy Motorsport intake.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, sorry it took so long to reply to my original post here....been very busy. I received the Focus Central Cold air intake a week after ordering it. Strange thing was....no directions??? I called FC to see if I could get some....The guy i spoke with was still making them??? By the end of the day, he did have them faxed to me, thank god. I apologize for not taking any installation pics....I was soooo excited to get it and wanted to install it ASAP. The intake has been on my car for a few weeks and I love it...it has a nice sound too, especially when you step on the gas. I have had no problems at all....no check engine light either. That was my main concern. The factory intake has a splash guard that can be re-used, with slight modification...I plan on re-installing this on Friday. You have to enlarge the hole on the splash guard to compensate for the cone filter. The quality of this intake is A1 and highly recommended. I will definitely take some pics of it on Friday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The intake definitely feels better....the car is more responsive through mid RPM's. I think that 4-8 horsepower is really hard to notice.....i'm definitely glad to have the old restrictive intake out of the car. The FC intake looks better than the Marcy Motorsport intake and gets tucked up under the front drivers side bumper. The MM intake looks like it just hangs straight down. I don't have access to a dyno....wish i could give you accurate results. As for just being able to "feel" the power increase....yes, its slightly noticable, exactly as I expected.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
laloggia said:
The intake definitely feels better....the car is more responsive through mid RPM's. I think that 4-8 horsepower is really hard to notice.....i'm definitely glad to have the old restrictive intake out of the car. The FC intake looks better than the Marcy Motorsport intake and gets tucked up under the front drivers side bumper. The MM intake looks like it just hangs straight down. I don't have access to a dyno....wish i could give you accurate results. As for just being able to "feel" the power increase....yes, its slightly noticable, exactly as I expected.
Speaking of access to a dyno, you don't really need one just to figure out if you are getting any gain from a mod. (Sure, you still need a dyno to get a result measured in HP).

Just take your car, pre-mod, and go out and do a few timed runs. The trick here: we are not talking about 1/4 mile or 0-60 because those sorts of runs are heavily influenced by launch. Instead do rolling runs. Say you are interested in midrange performance. So go out and time yourself several times in a row doing 2500-4000 RPM accelerations in a gear of your choice (4th might be good). Do it several times and get an average. Then do your mod, and repeat the timed runs. If the average is quicker after the mod, you can be comfortable that you have an actual measurable improvement.

If you are interested in flat-out WOT performance, pick a higher RPM band accordingly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve O, thanks for the suggestion...i can definitely try that. Lil PZEV, I don't think it matters if you have an auto or stick transmission. I have a manual. It should still give you the same increases. Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve O, thanks for the suggestion...i can definitely try that. Lil PZEV, I don't think it matters if you have an auto or stick transmission. I have a manual. It should still give you the same increases. Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
laloggia said:
Hey, you're welcome. Happy to help. Let us know how it goes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts