Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Im sure many of you suffer from the Focus brake squlling problem.

I was wondering if I replaced the rear drums with NON-Ford made drums, and up graded to a mush higher quality brake show, if the squeaking will stop?

I have replaced the shows with regular shows many many times and the noise just wont go away.

Its the worst most annoying screetch in the world. And it started as soon as I push the brake pedal and even at 2mph the brakes scream.

Im tired of everyone looking at me when I stop at a light.

The engineers at Ford must have been high the day they designed the brake system. And honestly speaking, Ford should do the right thing and issue a total recall on Focus's with this problem.

So what do you think about drum and pad replacement? Anyone try this approach before?

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Once the drums are apart, spray everything down with brake cleaner and let it dry.
Then get some brake lube and lube the hell out of all the contact points inside the drum.
It worked well for me, but now after a few months, they squeak a little if they get wet.
For the first month or so after lubing them they were completely silent. Well worth doing IMO.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I haven't had to replace the rear shoes or drums yet, but I did the front with the Euro rotors and Mintex pads from British American Transfer, and that's much better than what was originally up there. You might want to see what they have for the rears...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a TSB that can be performed that takes care of the drum noise. eligible under 3/36

Is this the one?

TSB data for: 2004 FORD FOCUS
Bulletin Number: 05105
Sequence Number: 10017934
Date: 20050607
Component Name: 034400 SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:DRUM
Make: FORD
Model: FOCUS
Year: 2004
Summary:
REAR BRAKE SQUEAL. *TT

If so, did it fix the problem for anyone?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It uses weight attached to the backing plate to dampen the noise and apparently it works very well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts