Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 07 focus wagon and i wanna put a really nice sound system in it but i dont know very much about cars or audio systems.

my friend suggested a Sound Ordnance B-24 subwoofer (100-500 watts), and Polk Audio DXi 5250 speakers for the front doors. what are your opinions on these speakers and subwoofer? also what kind of amplified will i need to be able to power all of this adequately? i mostly listen to dubstep, rap and pop. money isnt too much of a problem. thanks for any comments or advice.

~lnk

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Polks for up front are very good. You should be able to mount them in a bracket in the standard door location or mount them in a kick panel adapter. I am not familiar with the sub that was suggested, it is not a small one nor is it huge. If you use the cargo area a lot, you may want to consider something smaller.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont use the cardo area hardly at all, so size doesnt bother me that much. i know ill need an amp for the sub, but will i need one for the speakers?

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
That's entirely up to you. How much clarity, quality, and volume do you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like i said i listen mostly to dubstep and rap so clarity isnt AS important to me. i want a highish volume with acceptable quality. can you suggest any amps that would go well with this stuff? and is there anything else that you would suggest getting?

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
If I was to throw something together....
The Polk speakers you want is good stuff stick with that. But forget the sub box that was suggested and only because I have never heard of it and therefore do not know its reputation for durability and longevity or warranty info.

Here is what I would get:
A radio with AUX and 3 RCA out(front, rear, sub)
Say a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X35 http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX395/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X395.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Kenwood

Or a Pioneer DEH-P8300UB http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P8300UB/Pioneer-DEH-P8300UB.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Pioneer&tab=features_and_specs

Go with those Polk Audio Door speakers you wanted for front and rear. Add a extra set of Polk Audio tweeters for the front dash/pillar to get a bit of stage sound. http://www.shopping.com/Polk-Audio-Polk-db1000-1-Dome-Tweeters/info

Next is a 4 channel amp to power all of that. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_347050/4-channel-Amplifiers.html?tp=35782#&pg=1
I would suggest any of these that are listed here in these 3 pages on crutchfield. I am partial to the Alpine, Focal, and the Boston Acoustics!!!!! Once again I know nothing about Sound Ordinance so I am not suggesting them.

For your subs setup. I would stay away from Bandpass boxes. Get a ported box with like 2 12's or 2 15's or 3 12's or 3 10's. I can suggest the brand, you have to pick what size you want before I suggest amps and wiring to match the subs. Here are the sub suggestions that I have. Actually I like all the brands on this page. Some a little more than others. I am a fan of the Boston, Kicker CVR and CVX and L series. I also like Focal and JBL stuff too. Decide what you want and we go from there. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_520/Component-Subwoofers.html?tp=111#&items=3&pg=1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats for the helpful reply ^.^

i was actually looking at the exact same radio lol
ive heard of tweeters, but what do they do exactly?
is the 4 channel amp only for the stuff listed above?

for the subs, a couple of these would work. they have a fairly high rating in the areas that im looking for. i think ill get a couple of bass bunkers to enclose them in.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Welcome to the site.

There is much that can be learned here.

Do you have any wood-working skills?

You will get much better sound with the right box for a particular sub.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
you should check out Sonic Electronix there quite a bit cheaper!

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
Both freemind and st12121 are correct. A custom built box will always make you happier than a prefab If made right. It's usually cheaper too. I was using crutchfield as a starting point instead of jumping around the Internet yet. Yes the 4 channel is for your doors and tweeters and you will need a 2nd amp for subs. Not to mention the wires to hook it all up. Tweeters are the "speakers" that you see on the center of door speakers.... The Coaxials in this case. They are made to handle the higher frequencies for usually A range of between 2000-3000 hertz all the way up to and above 20k hertz. They are a cheaper way of obtaining some stage sound off your front dash. But they must come with a crossover network or you will probably blow the tweeters. I nought some kicker tweeters in like 2002 for my ranger and
Am still running them but in focus now. They have the crossovers so it helps with sound quality and longevity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@freemind thanks, im already learning a lot from what ive been reading and i have absolutely NO woodworking skills what-so-ever.

@st12131 thats a little expensive for 1 sub...

@Guru ok i know what tweeters are now. with the 4channel amp, will i want to get one that will max out the power on the speakers or keep the power around the middle or where do you suggest keeping it?

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
I would say that anything over a 400.4 would be over kill unless you what overkill mixed with a need for hearing aids. I am running a old Sherwood 400.4 stable at 2 ohms per channel so I can run tweets too and it screams when I ask it too.
Oh yeah you can run the extra tweets off the radio but to run it off an amp the amp would have to be 2 ohm stable on all channels for running the front speakers and tweets together on the front channels. They will more than likely be a 4 ohm speaker and a 4 ohms tweeter. So added together would be a 2 ohm load.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
I carry most of the RE line. I wonder if I carry the sxx woofer since I don't have their whole line up. Oh yeah guy I sell this kind of stuff.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
well sorry, you do get what you pay for.
Im running a single Infinity Kappa 120.9W with 300watt RMS amp and it sounds amazing, two might be just right for what your looking to do.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20027_Infinity-Kappa-120.9W.html
the nice thing is they are 2 or 4 ohm adjustable so you can wire it into any system.
good luck on your build.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
That would work. Not the biggest fan of bazooka. It's not great and not bad either. But your getting the idea. Rms is constant power output versus an amp being rated by it's peak power which will not be 100% constant

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
I don't know now to attach link with my buddies iPhone and can't figure out now to turn the search from my location off. The rest of the 4 channels on crutchfield are overpriced. I can send you links Sunday night when I get back to my work computer if ya wanna wait or someone else can pitch in. Yo freemind...do something useful....lol. A little help here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a good bit of the money is going to come from christmas and my birthday (dec 24), so im not in any rush lol.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts