Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Just bought a 2nd hand W Reg 2.0 l focus estate Ghia. The car is immaculate for the year, full service history etc...

However i have noticed that when i first start the car up, the abs & traction warning lights stay on together for a few minutes (longest they have stayed on for about 5-6 minutes). They then go off and don't come back on. Longest journey i've done so far about 35-40 minutes.

Is there an obvious reason for this? If i park up then return to car, say, 20 minutes later both warning lights will go off nearly straight away.

It seems to suggest to me that they are coming on and staying on when engine is cold?

Any ideas much appreciated... MOT not until June 2012 and don't want this problem with the warning light to mean fail.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Check your wheel speed sensors and exposed wiring at each corner, if there's a break in that circuit it will disable both traction control and ABS. I've had it happen twice with my car and both times it was wiring that had become exposed and then corroded to the point it disabled the circuit. The second time it happened was recent, and it was just as you described with the lights staying on immediately after starting and then going off after driving a while.

If you have access to a diagnostic scanner, try that also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts