Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in South Jersey and like many other parts of the country we're experiencing some really bad cold weather. My car is due for service next month but I'm planning on adding some antifreeze just for my own peace of mind. The level right now is a between min and max but I was told that during extreme temperatures it's good to have it on max.

I bought a bottle of Prestone 50/50 AMAM but I have read some people do not recommend that, while others do. I bought my car brand new last August and I just want to make sure I take the best care. Ford recommends Motorcraft Orange and I read on another forum that it's basically the same as Dexcool but more expensive.

Please help me out here...thanks! [cheers]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^^ RIGHT!

And it's a new car - if you want to have top up fluids handy don't cheap out on it & mix in something that doesn't match. I won't do that to my '04 (Motorcraft "Gold" in that one - again different than yours).

The dexcool similarity is worth remembering only for emergencies IMHO, even if OK for it - coolant is NOT that expensive to avoid an exact match when not desperate for a fix. (bad mismatch can cause trouble)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Not sure who told you to have it at MAX in extreme temperatures...I prefer to keep it in the middle range so there's room for expansion and contraction.

Take a Sharpie and make a line halfway between MIN and MAX and mark it "IDEAL". That will help your peace of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! I guess I will return the Prestone and get a Motorcraft and keep it for emergencies. I'll leave my car alone for now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts