Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

i'm trying to post here as I haven't find anything about my problem, and my dealership can't help me yet...
Plus, my warranty expired last week, so now i'm in deep [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]!

So, I have a Focus 2012, SE, sedan model, and I have those orange side marker (parking lights) in the front, plus at night, brake lights are always on at a lower intensity for positionning light...
Let's call them "position lights".

I realised that after going, with the engine on, for a couple of minutes; the "position lights" are shutting OFF ONLY ON DRIVER SIDE. When this is happening, brake lights behind are still working, but only rear position light on driver side isn't working[scratch], the orange front position light isn't working neither... Weird heh?

It gets even more weird... If I turn the engine off, and restart it again, they immediately turn back on, and they'll shut a couple of minutes later... while driving...
At this time, with the engine on, If I open a door, they won't turn on, but if I close the engine and open up my door, they turn back on...
[scratch][scratch][scratch][scratch][scratch][scratch][scratch]

before my warranty ended, I changed my rear brake light bulb, thinking it was burnt (never realised at this point that front marker was off also), but I had to damn find my problem after my warranty's out!

I would like to figure out myself what's wrong, as I am not bad and equipped with voltmeter to investigate this...
Anyone experienced the same thing?
Anyone have a clue to help me? so far i'm thinking those two wires (on driver side, front and rear position light) must be connected together at some point, and maybe a connection's faulty, or a fuse is...
Anyone have a wire diagram to help me out?

Thank you very much for your time and help, much appreciate,
Kevin[wave]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hello there,

i'm trying to post here as I haven't find anything about my problem, and my dealership can't help me yet...

So, I have a Focus 2012, SE, sedan model, and I have those orange side marker (parking lights) in the front, plus at night, brake lights are always on at a lower intensity for positionning light...
Let's call them "position lights".

I realised that after going, with the engine on, for a couple of minutes; the "position lights" are shutting OFF ONLY ON DRIVER SIDE. When this is happening, brake lights behind are still working, but only rear position light on driver side isn't working[scratch], the orange front position light isn't working neither... If I turn the engine off, and restart it again, they immediately turn back on, and they'll shut a couple of minutes later... while driving...
At this time, with the engine on, If I open a door, they won't turn on, but if I close the engine and open up my door, they turn back on...
before my warranty ended, I changed my rear brake light bulb, thinking it was burnt (never realised at this point that front marker was off also), but I had to damn find my problem after my warranty's out!

I would like to figure out myself what's wrong, as I am not bad and equipped with voltmeter to investigate this...
Hi Kevin,

If you do decide to head into your dealer, please let me know so I can see how I can best assist.

Meagan

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
If I was you, I would find the electrical ground point for the lamps on the back drivers side. Should be a terminal lug bolted onto the chassis, located not too far away from the lamps. Find it, disconnect it. clean the spot it connects to, reconnect. -A good first step.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kevin,

If you do decide to head into your dealer, please let me know so I can see how I can best assist.

Meagan
Thank you,
How would it be possible to assist on that?
I called my dealer but they told me that I will have to pay from now on for investigations... I'm a little scared of their 90$/hour rate, and it's not even sure they'll find anything...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I was you, I would find the electrical ground point for the lamps on the back drivers side. Should be a terminal lug bolted onto the chassis, located not too far away from the lamps. Find it, disconnect it. clean the spot it connects to, reconnect. -A good first step.
I sure will try to work my way along those wires..
Is there any specific place you were referring to ? You meant near the rear taillight, were the fuse box is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thank you,
How would it be possible to assist on that?
I called my dealer but they told me that I will have to pay from now on for investigations... I'm a little scared of their 90$/hour rate, and it's not even sure they'll find anything...
I can look into some options to see if additional assistance is available. I'll need you to send me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location once you've been to your dealer for diagnosis.

Meagan

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I sure will try to work my way along those wires..
Is there any specific place you were referring to ? You meant near the rear taillight, were the fuse box is?

Thanks!
I do not know the specific place the ground point for those lamps is located. It should be very close to the lamps, and not any where up front where the fuse boxes are. You gotta nose-around a little, and you might bump into it. Removing any one of those light assemblies that is not working might help you find the wire terminal lug that is attached directly onto the car frame/chassis. Looking under the backside of the car might also help.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not know the specific place the ground point for those lamps is located. It should be very close to the lamps, and not any where up front where the fuse boxes are. You gotta nose-around a little, and you might bump into it. Removing any one of those light assemblies that is not working might help you find the wire terminal lug that is attached directly onto the car frame/chassis. Looking under the backside of the car might also help.
Okay so I've tried to figure out my problem last weekend, and I came up with two different thing... First of all, I found the ground for my rear fuse box tail light like you proposed, and in fact, that wire was damaged (SEE ATTACHED PICTURE)
It looked like someone took it off, tried to reinstall it, and by tighting that bolt, it pulled hard on the wire... I cut that terminal to replace it with a brand new that I weld on
Went for a ride... but my lights were still closing after couples of minutes... same problem occured... as soon as I turn off the car an start it again, parking light would re-open, and close after 5-10 mins.

Now, that's interesting, because I think I found something.
On my car, I previously bought a DRL kit, that are LED in the triangles in front. I did make a by-pass connector from the front yellow wire (that gives power for front driver position light) to feed my new LED DRL kit. However, I tried to disconnect those LED DRL, and go for a couple of rides with the car and the problem LOOKS SOLVED.
Light are not shutting down anymore (after 2 hours ride).

I think it would be good to know that our "intelligent" cars are detecting any voltage/amp fluctuation and are shutting off voltage feed to prevent any failure, or problem...
It's funny because I've had these DRL for a year, and I never had that problem before.
Now that it looks like its working, I will reconnect my DRL somewhere else, like on a clear ACC wire, no more on positionning lights!

Thank you for helping, hope my problem is definitly gone ![:0]

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and dealer never was able to find my problem... And I bought that DRL kit from them -_-[smackbum]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts