Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Focus SE 2012
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my Focus SE 2012 2.0. sometimes when my car is moving, a loud noise is heard from the left side, and it loses acceleration power, but within seconds it recovers. Here is an audio of the sound.
Strange noise

·
Registered
2004 Ford Focus LX 2.0 SPI automatic; 2012 Ford Focus SEL DPS6
51 Posts
I am having problems with my Focus SE 2012 2.0. sometimes when my car is moving, a loud noise is heard from the left side, and it loses acceleration power, but within seconds it recovers. Here is an audio of the sound.
Strange noise
So this is just a guess. Does it do it while shifting gears? You don’t state which transmission you have, but it sounds like a small gear being engaged and spun very fast and short. Makes me think the clutch actuators might be going bad or where they are seated in the shift fork might not be lining up due to a mechanical malfunction. 🤷🏻 But is sounds like a small gear that is slipping. Hard to believe that it is in the actual gearbox itself from the noise.
William

·
Registered
Focus SE 2012
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this is just a guess. Does it do it while shifting gears? You don’t state which transmission you have, but it sounds like a small gear being engaged and spun very fast and short. Makes me think the clutch actuators might be going bad or where they are seated in the shift fork might not be lining up due to a mechanical malfunction. 🤷🏻 But is sounds like a small gear that is slipping. Hard to believe that it is in the actual t itself from the noise.
William
Thanks for your reply, i think my transmission is the powershift, and yes it happend sometimes when the transmission goes from second to third, so it makes me think that your assumption is correct, for now I will wait a few days for it to fail and I will take it to a mechanic specialized in transmissions, thank you very much for your answer and an apology for my English!

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,104 Posts
Your English is just fine.
That sound is quite unique but it does sound kind of like a gear. You have the DPS6 and that's largely only serviceable by the Ford dealer except for the clutch, forks, and clutch actuators. Those particular parts any shop can change.
It would be a good idea to scan the car for any codes. The TCM is known to be a particularly common cause for shifting problems.

·
Registered
Focus SE 2012
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your English is just fine.
That sound is quite unique but it does sound kind of like a gear. You have the DPS6 and that's largely only serviceable by the Ford dealer except for the clutch, forks, and clutch actuators. Those particular parts any shop can change.
It would be a good idea to scan the car for any codes. The TCM is known to be a particularly common cause for shifting problems.
In fact the first thing I did was scan it with my ODBII and forscan but it did not throw me any error.
Today I will scan again to see if now it detects something, for now is what I can do because unfortunately I am in Mexico and it is not an option to take it with the dealership :/
If I see any errors that I do not know, I will let you know, thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Note that if the TCM is the cause ONLY a dealer can purchase, replace, and program it. It's not available to the general public for purchase and even if it was you'd need a dealer to program it for you anyway. Hopefully, it's something more simple and cheaper like a clutch actuator.
I'm curious why you are unable to take your car to a dealership in Mexico?

·
Registered
Focus SE 2012
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note that if the TCM is the cause ONLY a dealer can purchase, replace, and program it. It's not available to the general public for purchase and even if it was you'd need a dealer to program it for you anyway. Hopefully, it's something more simple and cheaper like a clutch actuator.
I'm curious why you are unable to take your car to a dealership in Mexico?
I am going to investigate if I can take it to a dealership, I am not sure because it is an imported car from the United States, and I am not sure if they can help me.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It's a North American car so I would think that it should be able to be serviced in Mexico. I believe Canadian cars are able to be serviced in the USA and vice versa. Are you far from the US border?

·
Registered
Focus SE 2012
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a North American car so I would think that it should be able to be serviced in Mexico. I believe Canadian cars are able to be serviced in the USA and vice versa. Are you far from the US border?
No, I'm at the border, but due to pandemic issues I can't go by car, only by plane, so for now I'll take it to a transmission workshop and from there they will tell me what to do, thank you very much for your help!

·
Registered
51 Posts
No, I'm at the border, but due to pandemic issues I can't go by car, only by plane, so for now I'll take it to a transmission workshop and from there they will tell me what to do, thank you very much for your help!
When I changed out my clutch I watched a couple Spanish speaking videos from shops in Mexico. I couldn’t understand them, but I had watched many videos and I wanted to see how they did the service. Looked like they did a very good job. I also watched a couple German videos too. 🤪

·
Registered
Focus SE 2012
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys, after a few days my car failed, and now I get the error code p074b.

·
Registered
209 Posts
dtc p074b
Hope this helps

P074B Unable To Engage Gear 3 PERFORM the Transmission Adaptive Learning-Shift Drum Adaptive Learning procedure.
REFER to: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Adaptive Learning (307-01 Automatic Transmission - Vehicles With: 6-Speed PowerShift Transmission - DPS6/6DCT250, General Procedures).
Motor turns, but cannot synchronize and engage 3rd gear. REFER to: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Adaptive Learning (307-01 Automatic Transmission - Vehicles With: 6-Speed PowerShift Transmission - DPS6/6DCT250, General Procedures).
If the DTC returns, INSPECT the shift fork and synchronizer for wear or damage. GO to Pinpoint Test G

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It would seem that hstrymkrs diagnosis is probably right. Hopefully, the procedure outlined above helps but like mentioned I'm thinking that you might have mechanical damage.

·
Registered
Focus SE 2012
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello, I took my car to the mechanic, the fault was the transmission and the clutch(was destroyed), I had to buy them new and the repair cost around 1800 dollars (parts and repair). thanks for your help guys!
The TCM module was in good condition, but anyway I consulted Ford and they told me that I still had a warranty in case of failure. I mention this in case someone has this problem, investigate if your car has a valid warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello, I took my car to the mechanic, the fault was the transmission and the clutch(was destroyed), I had to buy them new and the repair cost around 1800 dollars (parts and repair). thanks for your help guys!
The TCM module was in good condition, but anyway I consulted Ford and they told me that I still had a warranty in case of failure. I mention this in case someone has this problem, investigate if your car has a valid warranty.
Glad you got it repaired. 1800 isn’t too bad for parts and labor. I was quoted 2800 at my dealership which is why I decided to go the route I did.

Reactions: VictorGtz

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reactions: Cobrajet67
1 - 19 of 19 Posts