Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just bought a used Focus 2011 SE two weeks ago. It has 83000KM mileage. One week ago, I started noticing vibration at idle. I had it checked in the past weekend. Mechanic told me the vibration is minor, no safety issue.

Actually, I don't feel huge vibration inside the car. I can see the back of passenger seat vibrating.

But I found a very annoying issue, the sound inside the car.

Standing outside of the car, the engine is very quiet. But inside the car with door closed, vibrating sound echoing inside the car makes me uncomfortable( it is like surround sound). The sound is lower if opening the window.

I would like to know if there are better ways to minimize the sound other than change the engine mounts.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
739 Posts
You my sir need a new passenger side motor mount. Do NOT buy an aftermarket replacement as they fail very quickly. The OEM units are the only ones that have been proven the test of time. Is it a manual or automatic transmission? I can grab the part number for ya.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

PSM is a good guess, but since the car is new to you it could use some checking before being sure about that.

If it gets less after the car warms up, that makes the PSM likely.

If you jack the engine slightly using a block of wood for padding while it runs at idle & the vibration diminishes significantly, PSM is the problem.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Id say PSM and probably the lower Engine/Tranny mount too.

The passenger side mount will cure a lot of that, the lower will remedy the rest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

Actually, it does not get less after warming up. I feel the vibration is smaller at the first couple of minutes of driving (if idling).

At idle, the first one or two seconds, the vibration is smaller, but eventually increases to maximum in four or five seconds.

The vibrations on dash board and Gas/Break paddle are minor. But the vibration on the seats is noticeable.

Ford dealer mechanic told me it is because of cold weather causing the mount (rubber part) stiff which results the vibration. Changing the PSM might still have vibration.

When he talked to another guy, I heard he mentioned something related to transmission design.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It's a four banger it may vibrate a little, but seat moving is your side mount. 108$ at C-F-M.com takes 30 minutes to do your self.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi all,
I just bought a used Focus 2011 SE two weeks ago. It has 83000KM mileage. One week ago, I started noticing vibration at idle. I had it checked in the past weekend. Mechanic told me the vibration is minor, no safety issue...
Let’s have a look at this once more, David. Since the issue becomes persistent, I suggest getting a second opinion. Feel free to choose other dealers, as they’re owned and operated independently. To locate one, click on this: http://www.ford.ca/dealerships/locate/ Please be sure to get back to me with the diagnosis; I’ll see how I can help further.

Kwasi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi FordServiceCA,
I had another experienced mechanic check the car yesterday. He also mentioned the engine mount issue. He even told me he changed the same mount for another Focus two weeks ago. He told me go to dealer buy a part and he will change for me.

Just wondering why the vibration is not as noticeable when driving. I can feel the passenger seat is not as vibrating while driving.

The vibration was gone on my way to the office this morning. But it came back when I drove home.

The annoying thing to me is not the vibration, it is the vibrating sound inside the car. I can feel my ear hurt. When vibration disappears, I felt differently on my ear.

I contacted dealer today and will hear back tomorrow to see if they are going to change the mount for me free of charge. No matter what the dealer will say, I will change the mount.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi FordServiceCA,
I had another experienced mechanic check the car yesterday. He also mentioned the engine mount issue. He even told me he changed the same mount for another Focus two weeks ago. He told me go to dealer buy a part and he will change for me...

Thank you for filling me in, David. Please let me know what your dealer decides, and I'll check my resources.

Kwasi

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
You are experiencing normal four cylinder vibration, they all pretty much do it and not the trans. The vibration lines up with car body parts to synchronize and then more noise than actual 'you can feel it' vibration but things like the seat back will accentuate that because of the long lever of seat back distance. Change the pass side mount, the common offender there. Then blame Ford for not pursuing a better mount situation (they are too cheap and focused on selling more parts when the OEM ones wear out too quickly). The cures are out there, they just don't want to spend the money for them. These problems pretty much showed up with the highly vaunted "hydraulic' mount type, the older somewhat bigger (and cheaper) ones didn't vibrate like this at all and commonly for life of the car rather than dead by 100K like these pretty much ALL do.

The vibration shows up the worst at low frequency/speed, faster rotation when engine speeds up then does not allow the vibrations time enough to mature to full strength as they echo through the car body. Why the problem always shows at the slowest speed and goes away when you speed up. It takes energy to vibrate something, easier to vibrate at lower speed, higher demands more energy that is not there, the rubber removes part of it. Tear the rubber though to kill its' effect and you will then feel it almost everywhere even at faster speeds.

'Actually, it does not get less after warming up. I feel the vibration is smaller at the first couple of minutes of driving (if idling).'

Guy who mentioned warming up actually meant mount rubber warmup, which can be different from the engine warmup cycle. You got the signs of a bad pass mount there. In cold weather the mount vibrating internally then loosens up as the rubber changes in stiffness. Not really a warmup at all, more a simple working of the material to get it into its' true damping capabilities. That means the hydro portion of the mount is not working, you are only relying on the rubber part by then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems dealer won't change the part for me. I was told the vibration is normal, it happens to all Focus and the newer models are even worse.
I told them neither my 2008 Focus nor my other brand car has such noticeable vibration.

Anyways, I will change the mount.

I would like to confirm the part number is 5S4Z6038CB for passenger side motor mount)
BTW, what are the part numbers for another two mount (the one on driver side and the one at the bottom of the car)

thanks,
David

·
Registered
739 Posts
It seems dealer won't change the part for me. I was told the vibration is normal, it happens to all Focus and the newer models are even worse.
I told them neither my 2008 Focus nor my other brand car has such noticeable vibration.

Anyways, I will change the mount.

I would like to confirm the part number is 5S4Z6038CB for passenger side motor mount)
BTW, what are the part numbers for another two mount (the one on driver side and the one at the bottom of the car)

thanks,
David
Do you have a manual or automatic? The part numbers are different for each. The number you mentioned is for automatics. I would call bullcrap on that dealership because this is a well known issue.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Don't put up with that dealer bullsh-t people! If they say something stupid like that, your freakin' instantaneous response to them should be that you then damn well know who will NOT be selling you your next new car. Put it on them!!!

Be nice and no cussing but BE FIRM when they start that sh-t..............they are used to rolling over customers who won't stand up to them.

If somebody in a dealership told me vibration was 'normal' I would chew him up and spit him out in less than five seconds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I managed to have the car get checked again at the same dealer.

This time I was told the cause is the Throttle Body.

The reason on throttle body is when heater and a/c turned on (and higher), the vibration is less.

The only problem is the mechanic was not 100% sure and he cannot put PSM out of question.

The service manager still suspected the PSM.

The cost for throttle body is $648 (part plus one hour labor). Service manager agreed to cover 50%. But it is the final shot. If it won't fix the vibration, I have to pay all the costs for other fixes.

If I want, I can bring the car in after new year.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
2011 is an electronic throttle body, and the guess MAY be related to idle speed response as that takes the place of an IAC (idle air control) from earlier cars to keep idle speed constant.

Usually a vibration problem would be WORSE if idle speed dropped for lack of compensation when A/C is turned on, not get better.

Only way to rule out that guess for sure is to check idle speed & see if it stays constant as loads change, like switching on A/C or turning the steering to the stop and keeping pressure on it.

Odo. test function includes idle speed if the car doesn't have a tach - prob. more accurate as it's digital.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts