Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Focus 2008 2.0 DOHC that my wife just bought used, and it idles extremely roughly. I mean like crazy... the darn thing won't stay still... goes from 600 to 900 and back down and up nonstop.

You can only tell when the car is not in motion, and it drives well. It's a pretty new car, only 45,000 miles on the engine. But the person that had it before my wife got it crashed into a pole... so it is rebuilt.

I took the MAF out and cleaned it (it was in pretty good condition... but I figured it couldn't hurt so I doused it down with quick dry electronic cleaner fluid).

I scanned it and no MIL codes show up. I've driven it about 1000 miles since buying it and have had no problems on the highways. Someone told me to reset the computer... would that help? Can you do that by just taking the battery out for an hour or so or do I have to drag it down to the agency?

Any ideas? Does the 2008 focus have a IAC? If so, where?

I'd GREATLY appreciate any help on this [pray] ... have a 2000 mile trip coming up in a few weeks and I need to have it fixed before we leave.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There is a TSB for the throttle body, this might be your problem http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&highlight=TSB

Edit don't think my link is working? Search for "TSB" under the technical section. There is a thread called extreme rough idle. The OP had a rough idle and loss of power WITH and WITHOUT any DTC's.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I would consider the idle air control valve on any efi motor with an idle problem.

edited to add:
Forgot they switched to a fly by wire, probably the throttle body then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 Focus and was having a similar idle problem. Local dealership after 5 trips "flashed my computer" and changed my PCM with no results. Took to a different dealer after 2 days they discovered my throttle body needed replaced. On my way to pick it up now. Fingers crossed that this fixed my problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts