Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First post here as I need some help. I'm booked into my local garage on Tues but wanted some other opinions beforehand.

I've got a completely standard 1.6 Zetec-SE Focus which was fine until last week. I've noticed a few things since I started my diags this morning!

1. Both radiator fans are running all the time regardless of engine temperature. With my internal fan/blower set to 1 if I start the engine the fans will start immediately. With the internal fan/blower set to '0' I can start the engine and the fans do not spin. As soon as I move to position 1 both fans will kick in again. They will only stop when I then switch off the engine.

2. My temperature gauage quickly climbs to half-way and then just sits there ...

3. Opening the bonnet this morning, I've noticed a loud clicking noise comming from/near the water pump. I hear a loud click (as if trying to engage itself?) followed by a smaller click and a whirr a few seconds later .... This will reapeat itslelf with say 10-15 seconds between each loud click. This may be a coincidence but as the engine got warmer the clicking stopped altogether ..??

4. My radiator expansion tank is up to the full mark and I'm not loosing any coolant

5. After running the engine for 5 minutes - the radiator connection hoses only get warm/hot nearest the engine. I dipped my finger in the rad expansion bottle and the coolant was stone cold.

My initial impressions is that the water pump has failed - but would this cause the fans to run all the time?

Would be very interested to hear your opinions ..

Cheers,
Stu

·
Registered
602 Posts
Both fans running when blower on , indicates that A/C is on, the vent is set to defrost (air to windscreen) , clicking might be the A/C compressor clutch. The fans should stop after a few minutes with the blower switch set to 0, try that out first.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Both fans running when blower on , indicates that A/C is on, the vent is set to defrost (air to windscreen) , clicking might be the A/C compressor clutch. The fans should stop after a few minutes with the blower switch set to 0, try that out first.
I think this guy is right. When the car doesn't overheat the water pump is working. How many miles on your odometer? When I replaced my water pump after hitting 95K miles I did not notice any wear on it. IMO the water pump is well built on Zetec engines.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Not a zetec guy, but saw the post on the main screen. I agree with the above poster about the fans. It may be the thermostat. It sounds as if its not opening up alowing coolant to circulate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved !

Thanks to the responses given guys - you just saved me a packet at the garage [wave]

Re. the fans running all the time - turns out it was set to defrost (windscreen). Setting this to internal vents & the fans switch of after approx 60 secs. So all was well here and working as per normal.

Re. the coolant, turns out the stat was knackered. Placed it in a bowl of boiling water and no movement whatsoever [:(] So, changed the stat for a new one and BINGO - flowing coolant that's piping hot so obviously going through engine, therefore the water pump is ok after all.

So, I'm a happy chappy thanks to you guys & this excellent forum.

Cheers,
Stu [burnout]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts