Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i heard some crunching in my window as I put it up (electric) and then the window seems to just drop and not stay up. I pulled off the door panel and speaker to find this piece below. It looks like the plastic just snapped off - the motor is still moving the wire up and down. What piece do I need to order/replace? How hard is it?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'll double check in my manual, but I do think you're going to need a whole new regulator. Those are not really easy to remove or replace, but not impossible. If you want to DIY this, then my best advice to you is to spend a lot of time in a junkyard that will let you remove your own parts. Regulators should be fairly easy to find. That will give you experience on removing the door panel, and the regulator so that you won't be as likely to mess up the one on your car. Expect to spend a lot of time there though.

Look in our Complete How-To Archive and the How To archive in the blue banner above. I'm fair certain that someone replaced a regulator and made a How-To on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Ford and they seemed to convey the same sentiment regarding needing the whole regulator. I have the door panel off, but the door frame is covered in foam that I assume i need to pull off and then reattach with glue? How easy is it to work in the door once the foam is removed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, you're going to need a new regulator. If it's anything like other Fords I've done, you're also going to need a large-rivet gun and glass rivets. This is an ugly job. Outsource it if you can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - I was able to replace the regulator very easily with a 2007 Focus part for $50 from a junk yard. The worst part of the job is dealing with the incredibly sticky/messy black adhesive that holds the foam barrier to the door frame. TIP - WD40 is great to remove it after you spray it and let it sit for 45 seconds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts