Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Focus SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone here can help me figure out what the problem is with my Focus. I've tried posting at other boards but I don't think I explained myself well enough because it seemed like members had trouble understanding me. Here it goes:

I came home and My 2000 Ford Focus SE with less than 32,000 miles on it would not turn off.

I could take the key out and the car would stay running. I even drove it with the key on the passenger seat. No matter what I tried, the key would not turn toward me, only away from me.

It was 2am and I had no idea what to do with it. I couldn't get ahold of anyone to help in person and someone told me to just let it run out of gas. It ran all night long until the morning when I woke up and it was still running. My neighbor helped me disconnect the battery to shut it down.

I called AAA with his card and they said they are not mechanics and there was nothing they can do. They gave me a locksmith's number and when I called him, he said it's something Ford will have to fix because of a chip in the ignition.

I called Ford and even they were baffled. They knew of the key getting stuck but never the key coming out and the car still running. They said to bring it in and they'd see "what's going on in there". I am scared to even think about the cost.

My dad is a mechanic on the East coast and he suggested a new key but that didn't work. It only ended up engaging my anti-theft system which has resulted in my car refusing to start now. The Anti-theft device which used to blink a red light is no longer doing so.

The battery is dead and my boyfriend has given me several jumps from his focus which has a brand new battery but mine dies soon after being disconnected from his. Because the key is stuck in the accessories mode, everything drains the battery each time we jump it.

We tried removing the cylinder but it won't budge no matter how hard we depress the small hole or how hard we whack on the key while it's in the cylinder.

I am figuring I need a new ignition as far as the car not turning off but I could be totally wrong. I also don't know why the car won't start now, other than the anti-theft having been activated. How do I reverse that?

Is it possible I damaged something else when it ran all night or when I disconnected the battery? Someone told me I might have killed my alternator.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm a typical girl who knows nothing about cars but has been trying to learn when things come up. I'd really like to take care of this on my own and learn something than have my credit card burn up at Ford.

If anyone can give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. It's been almost 2 weeks and I am going crazy without my baby. I've never had any problems with it before now.[mecry]

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
I've heard of problems where the cylinder won't let you start the car. That usually leaves you unable to start it, not unable to stop it.
It does sound like the ignition cylinder is the culprit.
Mike at Hilbish Ford (user name B16sir1991) can hook you up with everything you need to do it yourself (or have someone do it for you) cheaper than you can get it done at a dealer.

As for disengaging the anti-theft system, I thought it was supposed to let you use your original key after a certain amount of time. Could be wrong there though

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
First of all, [welcome] to FF!

2000-2005 Foci are notorious for having a bad ignition switch. Usually though, the key gets stuck in the switch and won't come out. We have a parts guy on our site that works for Hilbish Ford in Kanapolis, NC. His name is Mike. He gives us Ford employee discounts on parts.

Here is a link to a thread of his about the ignition switch problem:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124917

About the anti-theft problem:

You say that the switch is locked in the "accessory" position and drains the battery. This is most likely why the anti-theft system won't reset.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
2000 Focus SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard of problems where the cylinder won't let you start the car. That usually leaves you unable to start it, not unable to stop it.
It does sound like the ignition cylinder is the culprit.
Mike at Hilbish Ford (user name B16sir1991) can hook you up with everything you need to do it yourself (or have someone do it for you) cheaper than you can get it done at a dealer.

As for disengaging the anti-theft system, I thought it was supposed to let you use your original key after a certain amount of time. Could be wrong there though
Thanks for the reply!

I've PM'ed Mike a couple of tims but that was one of the instances where I didn't think I was explaining myself well enough because we can't seem to come to a conclusion on what parts I need. I'm going to try and call him tomorrow.

Mike did tell me that the anti-theft system should reset, but it has not done that. [dunno]

·
Registered
2000 Focus SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all, [welcome] to FF!

2000-2005 Foci are notorious for having a bad ignition switch. Usually though, the key gets stuck in the switch and won't come out. We have a parts guy on our site that works for Hilbish Ford in Kanapolis, NC. His name is Mike. He gives us Ford employee discounts on parts.

Here is a link to a thread of his about the ignition switch problem:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124917

About the anti-theft problem:

You say that the switch is locked in the "accessory" position and drains the battery. This is most likely why the anti-theft system won't reset.

Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks to you too!

I did indeed read about the notorious switch problem with the focus and was baffled to find that my problem is the exact opposite of everyone else. I am ready to order parts from Mike but I have not been able to determine which parts I need. We tried to remove the cylinder but it won't budge.

We hooked my car up to my boyfriend's new battery for almost 20 minutes and the anti-theft never reset. Do you think we just did not wait long enough?

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Thanks to you too!
You're welcome.[:D]

We hooked my car up to my boyfriend's new battery for almost 20 minutes and the anti-theft never reset. Do you think we just did not wait long enough?

No, I think that because the switch won't return to the off position, is why the anti-theft system won't reset.

·
Registered
2000 Focus SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're welcome.[:D]

No, I think that because the switch won't return to the off position, is why the anti-theft system won't reset.
Ah, okay. That makes sense but totally bites. lol

Sounds like because I engaged and can't reset the the anti-theft device, I can't get the car started in order to take it anywhere. Because the ignition is stuck on accessories mode, I can't get the cylinder out. So in the end, I'm going to have to have it towed somewhere and won't be able to do the repair on my own. [xx(]

·
Registered
2000 Focus SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ That makes sense. If the car thinks the wrong key is still there, it's going to stay in protect mode.
I'm not sure if this makes a difference but the car was never running when I tried the "new/non-pats" key. The farthest I got with the new key was to try it when the car was being jumped.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Prncsnyc it is possible that the lock cylinder is ok, and that the ignition switch that is connected to the lock cylinder is what broke. The problem is till you get it out you wont be able to tell .I only put this out since your problem is sort of revers from the norm. Best of luck but let us know what you find and welcome aboard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts