Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorted out my faulty CHT sensor recently and was enjoying driving in 100+ temps with Air on and no overheat , then BAM , out of nowhere went into red and went into limp home mode. Shut it off quickly and parked. CEL went on too.
It was a DAMNED broken plastic T !!!
Replaced it with one from Home Depot made of brass.
It was 110 out and I was hating life. Luckily it happened in town.
BTW Ford wanted $108 for the whole hose/T thing.
Screw that. Also during the repair I cracked the hard plastic line going to the degas bottle.
I cut out the bad part of it and fixed with hose and clamps.
Anyone know what code it set ? It starts and runs great now...no engine damage.
Here are the pics.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Never mind the tape on the plastic line. I was guessing where the crack was and wrapped it there , but the crack was further up the line.
Also , I need to get some better fitting mini clamps. The 5/16 O.D. tubing fits so tight over the line it actually held pressure without clamps. The ones they had late at night are not ideal size IMO.
What a difference a day makes...air on 107 out...normal engine temp.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
You can use steel brake line cut to proper length to replace the smaller plastic line too and never break again. I use no plastic in my coolant lines at all except for the stat housing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can use steel brake line cut to proper length to replace the smaller plastic line too and never break again. I use no plastic in my coolant lines at all except for the stat housing.
How did you do the connection to the upper radiator hose ? Picture would be great. What size brake line ? Where do you get it in bulk? How did you curve the end to go into the radiator hose ?

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
Parts stores have brake line in long lengths if you ask. Easily bendable using a less than $10 tubing bender. Whatever size needed, I've used both 5/16" and 3/8", measure yours to see what it is.

The upper rad pipe is made of copper soldered together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem on my Mother in law's 04 2.3, used a plastic tee from homedepot, that lasted 2 years, and that one finally cracked, went to the junkyard and cut a factory tee out of a car. I cant believe Ford doesn't make the T available by itself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I had the same problem on my Mother in law's 04 2.3, used a plastic tee from homedepot, that lasted 2 years, and that one finally cracked, went to the junkyard and cut a factory tee out of a car. I cant believe Ford doesn't make the T available by itself.
You can get the T at O'Reilly The one made by Gates...not Dorman !
It's like $4something. And made of glass reinforced nylon like Ford part.
It's 3/4 inch one...always in stock.
Dorman is a dollar less and not same quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can get the T at O'Reilly The one made by Gates...not Dorman !
It's like $4something. And made of glass reinforced nylon like Ford part.
It's 3/4 inch one...always in stock.
Dorman is a dollar less and not same quality.

Sent from my SM-N920T using FF Mobile

Great to know!!!! Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts