Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm thinking of doing the 2.5 swap in my 2005, but I was wondering.
Since I live in Canada and the 2.3 focus head is as rare as rocking horse s**t, then what other head can I use?

Escape, Ranger?

also if I used a ranger one if it will work what would be the difference?
Thanks..

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
2.3 focus head is as rare as rocking horse s**t

Ok that's the funniest thing I have read all day. Sorry I don't know about your question. I can almost guarantee someone will chime in quickly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Since I am still relatively new to all the Duratec stuff I do have a quick question. Why not just use the head that comes with the Duratec 2.5 engine instead of trying to find a Duratec 2.3 cylinder head?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Hi I'm thinking of doing the 2.5 swap in my 2005, but I was wondering.
Since I live in Canada and the 2.3 focus head is as rare as rocking horse s**t, then what other head can I use? No rocking horse's up there???

Escape, Ranger?

also if I used a ranger one if it will work what would be the difference?
Thanks..
Don't use a 23 ranger head= a 20 head. Your looking for a foci,escape, fusion 23 head. If not use what you got= 25.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't use a 23 ranger head= a 20 head. Your looking for a foci,escape, fusion 23 head. If not use what you got= 25.
if a fusion head can be used can the whole motor, harness, ecu ..etc be used as well? around here 2.3 foci are none to be found. fusion on the other hand.

side note: Felix, Sailor, anyone else. you seem to know quite a bit around here. I search my butt off before I'll post a question but I was wondering do you know if there happens to be a general junkyard guide thread?

Coming from VW's there was a multitude of parts that could be swapped between cars (motor, trans, interior, exterior, suspension, brakes...etc) Hell my 81 Rabbit has at least 8 different generations of car parts ranging from 1975-2001 on it. [:p]

Just wondering if I should be poking my head into other fords.

Sorry for the thread hijack

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
We haven't got a general junkyard guide thread, the info. is spread between performance sections for different engines, the brakes/suspension/chassis area and elsewhere depending on the question.

One of the better recent threads on dropping in a 2.5 is actually in the showroom area where the gent who put it in his racecar made a thread. IIRC it was a 2010 with a 2.5.

Engine & trans swap area has info., but most of those are fairly std. by now as there aren't a lot of choices that fit easily. Not counting extremes here like putting in a V6 or doing a mid engine installation!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Like Roger noted above^^^^ The swap section & the bst section. Yea, you could do a fusion, escape 25 motor install. If you add a header & you'll want to, not sure if it'd fit w/o modding it as the deck height is taller. Just to add you could always find one & have it shipped, if none are around your area. For a 23, look for a '03-'04 or one out of a '05-'07 st. For sure you'd want to do a bsd plug on either motor, which removes the bs's & install a plug in the oil feed hole to the bs's. You also need a psm for what ever motor your installing. I prefer the 23 over the 25 w/ a stick.

Reactions: twiggss

·
Registered
202 Posts
We haven't got a general junkyard guide thread, the info. is spread between performance sections for different engines, the brakes/suspension/chassis area and elsewhere depending on the question.
dang! was hoping I just missed it.

Thanks anyways guys.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Actually the deck height on the 2.3 and 2.5 block is the same.
The stroke is longer on the 2.5 and so are the rods.
I have seen no issues with bolting on the header on the swap posts I've seen here or on FJ.

I've been procrastinating but hopefully a 2.5 swap is in my future..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would rather not pull the head off since the engine I have has only 3500miles on it. But what about the intake. And the vvt issue?

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
There's the thread from the "Showroom" section I was thinking of, good one on the 2.5 swap.

His '05 has mechanical TB BTW.

·
Registered
38 Posts
to go back to your original question and regarding Tom recommendation.
look for Mazda 3 2.3L motor, they trend to blow up frequently(balance shaft factor on the oil sensitive weakness) and sell around 100$ for a complete engine, harness, COP, etc. (with a failed connecting rod bearing for sure)
the last 2 I pic didn't have the oil feed in front/exhaust side and bring the whole thing easier.
use the massive VCT delete;
your stock engine valve cover;
tap the oil feed of the balance shaft assembly with 1/8 npt plug;
(if the case) plug the head oil feed (front/exhaust) with 1/16 npt plug;
and you're ready to go with a head with more aftermarket support.

I also confirm the the Canadian market in 2.3 focus head isn't great

ps. if need I can post pics

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, that helps lots, so to be clear
a 2.3 head from a mazda 3
plug the front oil feed with 1/16 npt plug
Massive VCT Delete
2.0 Valve cover will do the trick?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Where would one get the rods to go from 2.0 to 2.3?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks, that helps lots, so to be clear
a 2.3 head from a mazda 3
plug the front oil feed with 1/16 npt plug
Massive VCT Delete
2.0 Valve cover will do the trick?
it's that simple if you have the right parts
if you end up with a later Mazda head with the front oil feed and a 2.5l block from a Transit (don't have VCT) you will have to fab a oil feed for the front cams bearing.
but in most case you're good to go with this plan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The engine I have if from a 2010 fusion.
also if I go with a mazda head with VCT can I still run ford focus aftermarket cams for a 2.3 like the crower stage 2 ones?
if not what cams fit the mazda 2.3 head?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts