Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've got a 1999 Ford Focus MK1 with the 1600 16V Zetec engine.

I noticed the other day how the PCV hose was collapsed and punctured so I decided to change the PCV hose + PCV valve.

When I started the car up, it runs fine when it's cold, however after a couple of minutes when the engine is warm it will stall whenever I come off the the throttle , at a roundabout or at a red light for example.

So I took the the Idle speed Control Valve off , cleaned it and refitted it to no result, it will still stall on me.

So as a last measure I disconnected one side of the PCV hose, kind of simulating the condition before the PCV hose swap as the old hose was punctured and thus allowing the engine to draw in more air and as a result the engine doesn't stall anymore , however it will idle quite high, around 1500-1000 RPM.

Do you guys have any thoughts ? would it be the Idle control valve that's faulty ? I didn't dare to remove the throttle body for cleaning as I didn't want to cause any more potential problems....

Big thanks in advance, looking forward to your opinions...

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
It idles too high because you created a vacuum leak. The high idle covers up a die at low rpm and normal, that doesn't mean anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts