Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my problem started about 6 weeks ago and im starting to get stressed now the car started chuggering like it was miss firing so i put the car in for a full service and had the plugs changed, leads changed, coil changed, fuel filter changed and air filter changed and its still doing it so i took it back and they scanned the the car and they said there was not fault codes in the ecu so im now back to square 1 i went to to pick someone up from the airport and on the motorway the engine managment light come on so i pulled over and turned the engine off and called the RAC they arrived and turned the engine on and the light wasn't on so i drove the car home what can this be i hope you guys can help me oh i forgot to say its the 2003 model

thankyou

ian

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Ok, I'm not as familiar with the UK model, but this one is going to be a bugger to figure out. It could be anything from exhaust blockage to bad fuel.

Do you fill up at the same place every time? If so, try somewhere else. There are also fuel additives like STP Fuel Treatment that are designed to help make water burn without hindering combustion.

Another thing that probably wouldn't show up in a code check is a dirty MAF. I'm not entirely sure about the design- maybe a pic would help. I'd remove the part and clean it. The US part is very easy to clean with a Q-tip and alcohol, and two star drive screws remove it.

How many miles are on the car? If you're approaching 100k, then it is possible that the timing belt is going out, but that's something your regular mechanic will have to determine. I'm not even sure if your engine model even uses a timing belt since the European versions of the engines are different. A pic of the engine compartment would be enough to tell whether it's a chain or belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi i fill up in 2 petrol stations 1st is texaco and the 2nd is morrisons i have also put redex in the petrol the last time i fill up, the car has just hit 60.000 miles and it has a timing belt not a chain i have notice the exhuast is blowing a bit aswell ??? i hope this helps you to help me and thankyou for you time in helping me

regards

ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive had the exhaust checked and there was no blockages the machanic did'nt know what was wrong with the car alls he said is that it was very strange and that he wouldnt take the job on because it could take a while to find the problem and it would cost mega bucks ??????????????????????? what am i going to do now please help me lads has anyone had the same problem thanks for your time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts