Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue on my 2001 1.4 hatch. I've recently had the fuel pump replaced after a non starter and it worked fine. I replaced all plugs with service and oil, filter etc as it had a misfire and was only firing on 3 cylinders before the pump issue. It worked fine for a day after pump replacement but then started acting up and complete loss of power, even with foot fully to the floor. Revs would eventually start dropping and I'd get a prominent kick when taking foot off the gas. I would have to pull over and leave it for 5 mins and then it would be ok for a bit. Garage said it was air leak, found one at the inlet manifold gasket and replaced but that didn't solve the issue. Now I'm thinking it may be fuel filter but I notice when priming the pump it makes a louder sound. Not the usual whirr when priming but a deeper sound. Does this mean there is still a fuel pump issue? After 5-10 mins it will prime with usual sound but then start dying again after a good drive. It gets to the undriveable point and has no power at all. Any help would be welcome.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Any new pump, don't care what it is, oil, fuel, etc. can fail when hot. You say "it worked fine" after the fuel pump replacement. How long was that? A day? A week?

Did you do the work or did a shop? If a shop did the work they would have replaced the fuel filter if they knew what they were doing.

If a shop did it and replaced the fuel filter and it died a week later than take it back to the shop because very likely they just got a bad pump from their supplier.

If you did the work and didn't replace the fuel filter than replace the fuel filter now, and if that does not work well then welcome to the world of crappy-assed auto parts! I've gotten brand new parts that were broken out of the box, seen brand new parts on the auto parts store shelves that were leaking in the box, and had them fail a week after installation. That is what happens when the aftermarket makes parts on an assembly line a mile a minute.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts