Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I have been looking around the FoCCCus thread. Lots of stuff I don't really understand, but overall, I think I understand the gist of it.

My main question is this: It seems very shady (I've heard it is a Russian hack to the BCM), can anyone vouch for this program? I know many people have had great success with it, but I cannot afford to do anything to jeopardize my Focus. I am assuming that anything that can be done on this program can be done at a Ford dealership? I am mainly talking about getting new headlights and tail lights and not getting any error codes, and I've heard that if you get new headlights (HIDs, Halogens or LEDs) you need to change a setting in there. Could that be done at a dealership, or only through FoCCCus?

Or am I wrong in thinking that I need to do anything at all when getting new headlights and tail lights?

Anyone that can help will be awarded with the coveted virtual high five..

·
Registered
329 Posts
FoCCCus is a russian program created by the Russian ford focus club. As far as I know, it appears that it is no longer being updated. The Ford dealers use what is called Integrated Diagnostic Systems (IDS) software but it is severely limited by Ford (for whatever reason, most likely warranty compliance and to make modifications more difficult so you are forced to buy a more upscale model of vehicle) and its capabilities are VIN based. FoCCCus and ForScan were created to bypass the Ford restrictions and allow more flexibility in reconfiguring the Central Configuration settings in the BCM in order to enable or disable certain vehicle functions, as long as the underlying hardware is in place to support the function. Ford's IDS also is extremely expensive and most of its functions require a paid subscription to the Ford Dealer connection website through Motorcraft (which is also rather expensive). FoCCCus and ForScan were created to put the abilities of IDS in the hands of enthusiasts and independant mechanics for no cost. Between the two programs, you should be able to do almost all the functions that a dealer with IDS can do, including reflashing modules, which I have done personally with FoCCCus. Reflashing can be risky with the connection type that FoCCCus and ForScan use to communicate with the vehicle so that is "do at your own risk". Where IDS has a more stable connection using a dedicated connection that is less error prone when uploading new firmware to a module. But for the process of just changing a calibration setting in the BCM, its pretty safe, just make sure you backup the original configuration and save it to your laptop so that you can easily revert back to original in case something goes wrong, which it can happen once in a while. As long as you have the original backed up, just revert it back, and try again.

So far I have used FoCCCus on a 2012 base model to:

1. Enable factory cruise control (requires changing steering wheel to add cruise control switch)
2. Enable Trip computer with ECO scout (requires cluster change and airbag change to add the control switches on base model).
3. Enable MyKey (requires optional cluster change and different airbag on base model)
4. Enable Hill Start Assist (requires cluster change and different airbag on base model)
5. Recalibrate the speedometer for different tire sizes (my winter and summer tires have different diameters)
6. Disable the seatbelt reminder chime
7. Disable automatic door locking at speed.
8. Recalibrate the ABS module for rear disc brakes after upgrading from rear drum.
9. Recalibrate the windshield wipers after replacing a broken wiper motor mount.
10. Update firmware in gauge cluster to latest version for my cluster (added quad display) *this part is risky and do at your risk*
11. Set correct mileage on new gauge cluster. Mileage currently on new cluster must be lower than the vehicles actual mileage to do this*

It can be used for switching light types (halogen to HID) and to enable fog lights (as long as the BCM internally is wired for such.) I know the base model BCM is internally different than the SE and higher BCM's (fog light circuit isn't present on the 2012 S model BCM for instance).

ForScan can now also be used to reconfigure the central configuration as well but that requires an extended license, and i have never been able to get reconfiguration to work successfully in ForScan, but can get it to work with FoCCCus. Hope this helps. The hardest part is getting the connection settings set correctly (baud rate and stuff). For simple recalibration, as long as you can get FoCCCus to connect without giving a connection time out error, you'll be fine... But for reflashing firmware, connection setting is much more critical, because if the connection errors out, you do run the risk of bricking the module which would require towing the vehicle to the dealer to have them reflash the module. For the gauge cluster this isnt a big deal as you can just start over and try again, but uploading new firmware to other modules, such as PCM, BCM, ABS or TCM is not recommended, if you need to update the firmware in any of those modules, just take it over to the dealer for that stuff. The other downside of reflashing is, that although anyone can download newer firmware for the modules, you have to know the exact filename of what file to download in order to make sure you get the correct firmware file from Ford. If you get the wrong file, it wont update correctly and the module may not work again until the dealer reflashes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello.

I just discovered, that I have to enable the AUX Line in connection before being able to use it.

On a russian post i have read that bit 123 needs to be changed in the config for this to work, however i have no clue what should be the new value and how to upload it.

Can you please give me some advice?

Thank you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So i tried to connect FoCCCus to my 2016 Titanium with my switchable ELM-327 connector and i kept getting this error message. (CAN'T ENTER SECURITY INTO ECU) Does anyone know why this is? 2 years ago i was able to get into my 2014 Titanium without any issues. Tnx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts