Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 1376 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I flashed my car a couple times with an unmodified ELM327 cheapo last night. Got my global up and down enabled, headlamps set to 'alternative HID' with dipped bulb off (able to run HID's without any extra resistors/wires/fuses, no dipped bulb error!) and the auto highbeam function going.

I found that I had to have my wired ELM adapter plugged in right, sometimes I had to write to the BCM twice in order to be successful (scary when the whole HUD goes wonky lol). Pretty awesome bit of software I must say!

Note: Which features do you need to use the medium speed connection for?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I flashed my car a couple times with an unmodified ELM327 cheapo last night. Got my global up and down enabled, headlamps set to 'alternative HID' with dipped bulb off (able to run HID's without any extra resistors/wires/fuses, no dipped bulb error!) and the auto highbeam function going.

I found that I had to have my wired ELM adapter plugged in right, sometimes I had to write to the BCM twice in order to be successful (scary when the whole HUD goes wonky lol). Pretty awesome bit of software I must say!

Note: Which features do you need to use the medium speed connection for?
Unmodified? Just absolutely stock elm?

·
Registered
168 Posts
hahah YUP, unmodified :D

I thought some of the major commands would call for the medium speed connection, but nope!

After a read a bit and followed the instructions, and read some more, I was surprised it was that easy. Unnerving at first but that easy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine is unmodified as well.

The unmodified one can write to the high speed bus, which includes the BCM, and some other stuff. The BCM is where most of the things we want to change lie, things like headlight stuff, shift light, windows, etc. The modification is to make it read the medium speed bus which controls the IDS and other functions.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Mine is unmodified as well.

The unmodified one can write to the high speed bus, which includes the BCM, and some other stuff. The BCM is where most of the things we want to change lie, things like headlight stuff, shift light, windows, etc. The modification is to make it read the medium speed bus which controls the IDS and other functions.
Looks like i need to modify mod mine [thumb]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unless you wired it up 100% like it would be out of factory. Not sure this would really help.
Obviously all factory wiring, I just prefers bezels, ordering the switch and factory harness Monday.

As I recall it won't work in the S, cause the BCM is different. But it should work on an SE, since the BCM is the same as the titanium.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
What does auto highbeam do? And do you have HID's to test that the dipped beam is off? Or did you just disconnect the bulb and you didn't get the error?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Flashed the global windows successfully on a 2013 Focus Hatchback Titanium...Tried hill assist, got three errors lights, ABS, EBrake, and Traction Control in dash...Just reflashed without hill assist and error lights went away, plus took it for a test drive and hill assist didn't even work....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Flashed the global windows successfully on a 2013 Focus Hatchback Titanium...Tried hill assist, got three errors lights, ABS, EBrake, and Traction Control in dash...Just reflashed without hill assist and error lights went away, plus took it for a test drive and hill assist didn't even work....
5 speed hill assist? Thats prob what it is.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Could be a module or something missing. Im just guessing though~
I don't think so, since basically hill start assist is a software function of the anti lock brakes to keep pressure in the system for 1-3 seconds or so when the sensors detect that the car is on a hill with the proper sensor inputs to engage it in the first place.

Unless the car lacked anti lock brakes this should be a simple matter of enabling it in the computer.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I don't think so, since basically hill start assist is a software function of the anti lock brakes to keep pressure in the system for 1-3 seconds or so when the yaw sensor detects that the car is on a hill with the proper sensor inputs to engage it in the first place.
A yaw sensor that doesn't sense vehicle yaw?
That's odd...

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
A yaw sensor that doesn't sense vehicle yaw?
That's odd...

The specific sensor is not named, but basically it's an angle or incline sensor. Perhaps saying yaw sensor is a bit off as yaw is usually in the lateral direction (x or y) rather than up and down (z axis) as is needed for the system to function.

The point of the earlier statement is that there is nothing special that needs to be added for hill start assist other than the code to enable it as the car already needs the sensors and hardware for ABS, traction control, and stability control.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
So that would be a pitch sensor. Nice. We're flying Focuses now.

·
Registered
292 Posts
To turn on Hill assist (I did successfully in my 2013 SE) you have to initialize the ECU.

AFTER you write the BCM, exit focccus(dash is like an Xmas tree) THEN open Forscan, clear codes, THEN reopen foCCCus and initialize ABS ECU then your lights will go off and it will work.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I wonder what the difference is between Headlight type "HID" and "Alternative HID". Does HID mean factory lights and alternative = aftermarket?

121 - 140 of 1376 Posts