Focus Fanatics Forum banner

221 - 240 of 1376 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Does anybody have a full run down of what turning DRL on does in a stock configuration?

Sounds like it uses the Low beams. Does it use only a portion of the power or full power? When to they turn on? (Car on? ebrake off? in gear?) Does turning the dial to off turn them off - aka they only work when dial is in "Auto" mode?
I have DRL's as an 'installed' option (car was a rental car prior to my owning):

-It uses the low beams at an even lower setting during the day (my best guess is about 60-70% power) and the tail lights at a similar level

-They are always on when the car is on, even when the dial is set to off or parking.

-When it gets dark enough, they are only available at standard low beam brightness

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you remember which setting you used?
Also interested in setting used.

I turned on DRL for headlights which turns the lows on. But since my headlights and fog lights are relayed together it turns my lights on full power. So now my lights are always on even in the off mode.
I have only seen the option for lights on at all times. Although setting 03 and 04 are not listed, so those might do something.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Line 16 - Always Headlights
Just found out you get true DRL (no tails on and low beams at half power instead of always headlights you select unknown then input 03 in the number area. My headlight indicator is off, my tails are off and my headlights are on.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Just found out you get true DRL (no tails on and low beams at half power instead of always headlights you select unknown then input 03 in the number area. My headlight indicator is off, my tails are off and my headlights are on.
Hmm my headlight indicator was showing as On with all lights on in any mode. I flashed back to No DRL.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hmm. Close. I wonder on an St3 what this will do since HIDs don't have half power. Maybe led brow only. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hmm my headlight indicator was showing as On with all lights on in any mode. I flashed back to No DRL.
You selected "Always on" i think that is value 05. Look how the number to the left of the drop down menu changes as you change your selection. It needs to say 03 for DRL

Hmm. Close. I wonder on an St3 what this will do since HIDs don't have half power. Maybe led brow only. :)
It would probably hurt the HID ballasts. I think there's an option for LED lights, I do not have HIDs or LEDs though, so I am unsure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was able to successfully enable Global Open/Close on my '13 Ti 5-speed hatch. I was not able to enable Hill Start Assist successfully – I turned it on, but the ABS and AdvanceTrac lights came on, and after clearing the codes in FORScan, the ABS code came back, with a message like "Not Programmed". So it leads me to believe that the programming for Hill Start Assist (it uses a different word, not "Start", but I can't remember it) is not there in my car, even if all the physical gear is.

I had to kind of finagle it – I found an x64 Win 7 driver for the ELM327, but FoCCCus was acting kind of weird. The ELM worked perfectly with FORScan, so I believe FoCCCus 0.8 was the problem (the folks on the ST forum seem to say that 0.81 does not work properly).

I could read the BCM file using FoCCCus fine, but after reading it I could not write to it again. FoCCCus gave me a "Can't init ELM" error. I tried it probably fifteen times but it would not work at all. The only way it would work is if I saved the file, closed out FoCCCus, reopened FoCCCus, loaded the file, and wrote to the BCM (without reading it beforehand). That worked, I was able to do that a couple times (once with Hill Assist, once to turn it back off).

I will probably try out some of the various DRL settings to see if I can find the particular group that gives me the reduced-power headlights as DRLs. Can anyone confirm that it is the low-beams that are used for DRLs (on Canadian and/or fleet cars)? I thought the DRLs used the high beams at very low (~20%) brightness. Entirely possible I'm wrong though.

I guess "dimmed/dipped lights" would mean the dipped (low) beam running at a dimmed intensity, so it seems like this is the likely option for DRLs.

TL;DR: Global Open/Close works on my car, Hill Assist does not. DRLs maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was able to successfully enable Global Open/Close on my '13 Ti 5-speed hatch. I was not able to enable Hill Start Assist successfully – I turned it on, but the ABS and AdvanceTrac lights came on, and after clearing the codes in FORScan, the ABS code came back, with a message like "Not Programmed". So it leads me to believe that the programming for Hill Start Assist (it uses a different word, not "Start", but I can't remember it) is not there in my car, even if all the physical gear is.

I had to kind of finagle it – I found an x64 Win 7 driver for the ELM327, but FoCCCus was acting kind of weird. The ELM worked perfectly with FORScan, so I believe FoCCCus 0.8 was the problem (the folks on the ST forum seem to say that 0.81 does not work properly).

I could read the BCM file using FoCCCus fine, but after reading it I could not write to it again. FoCCCus gave me a "Can't init ELM" error. I tried it probably fifteen times but it would not work at all. The only way it would work is if I saved the file, closed out FoCCCus, reopened FoCCCus, loaded the file, and wrote to the BCM (without reading it beforehand). That worked, I was able to do that a couple times (once with Hill Assist, once to turn it back off).

I will probably try out some of the various DRL settings to see if I can find the particular group that gives me the reduced-power headlights as DRLs. Can anyone confirm that it is the low-beams that are used for DRLs (on Canadian and/or fleet cars)? I thought the DRLs used the high beams at very low (~20%) brightness. Entirely possible I'm wrong though.

I guess "dimmed/dipped lights" would mean the dipped (low) beam running at a dimmed intensity, so it seems like this is the likely option for DRLs.

TL;DR: Global Open/Close works on my car, Hill Assist does not. DRLs maybe tomorrow.
Enabling hill start assist on 2013 Focus SE: http://youtu.be/g_AZBrCcuxs

You're welcome.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Enabling hill start assist on 2013 Focus SE: http://youtu.be/g_AZBrCcuxs

You're welcome.
Thanks, that's promising. I saw the ABS error and chickened out, I guess – unlike in the video, clearing the DTC did not clear that particular error. It could be because I haven't modded my ELM327, maybe some related error I didn't clear on the MS-CAN bus meant that that error didn't clear on HS-CAN. I did see the Hill Assist in the instrument panel display, and it was checked, but I don't really have a hill to test on down here.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks, that's promising. I saw the ABS error and chickened out, I guess – unlike in the video, clearing the DTC did not clear that particular error. It could be because I haven't modded my ELM327, maybe some related error I didn't clear on the MS-CAN bus meant that that error didn't clear on HS-CAN. I did see the Hill Assist in the instrument panel display, and it was checked, but I don't really have a hill to test on down here.
I actually made that video haha, you should be okay without a modified adaptor and only HS-CAN, you just need to make sure that you reinitialize the ABS computer or you will not succeed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh cool! Hah, my bad, I was trying to keep a low profile watching the video, I had the volume down and skipped to the FORScan part 'cause I assumed the extra step would be during or after that. Shows what I get for assuming. Thanks again!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It works! Woooo!!

Too damn hot out to start messing with the DRL settings now. Those are not so cut-and-dry, so it'll take some tinkering I imagine.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's the setting I am using, it gives me reduced brightness out of my low beams while car is running and headlights are off. Tail lights are off as well. Once the automatic headlights turn on or I switch headlights on then they go to full intensity. When only DRLs are on then I have no headlight indicator on the dash.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It works!

Short (1.5 minute) demo video:

I do actually have a faulty TPMS sensor, so don't let that warning/code alarm you.

An interesting oddity: when the BCM or whatever is interrupted, the auto air turns itself on, 75°, front defrost.

221 - 240 of 1376 Posts