Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just finishing swapping a 2.0 Duratec in my 2007 Focus 5 speed wagon.While the engine was out I replaced the high pressure power steering fluid line which had major surface rust.The pump is fairly new as well, about 2 years old. After getting the engine in I topped off the PS reservoir over the course of a few days before I started the engine. I started it a couple of hours ago and ran for a sec. When I looked at the engine the PS fluid was coming out from under the cap like a strawberry milkshake volcano. I took off the cap and grabbed my vacuum pump to fight the eruption. I let it sit a bit and started it again. Same deal. I've never seen PS fluid foam like this before. Anyone have any insight or suggestions? PS - There are no leaks anywhere I can find.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When you inspected for leaks, did you do a pressure test or only a visual test?

If the latter, you should do a pressure test.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,378 Posts
Foaming is caused by leaks on the suction side of the pump drawing air into the system. On PS pumps with a reservoir mounted on the pump, it is often the o-ring, but can be a cracked reservoir. On PS pumps with a remotely mounted reservoir, it can be anywhere along the hose from the reservoir to the pump (usually the hose connections).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, swapped in another reservoir and also turned the wheel limit to limit a dozen times...seems to have solved the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts