Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about upgrading to an FMIC soon and I was wondering if we had to cut into our frame when mounting the IC. I'm looking at a 28"x7"x2.5" that some dude is giving me a good deal on. How much cutting do you guys thing would be involved in this case?

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
for one that small no. if you go with any of the taller ones then yes you do have to cut the bumper.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for one that small no. if you go with any of the taller ones then yes you do have to cut the bumper.
Oh man, that's awesome news, thanks.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Thats about the same size I'm running and I didnt cut anything to make it fit.... plus it should be good for well over 350whp.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats about the same size I'm running and I didnt cut anything to make it fit.... plus it should be good for well over 350whp.
Yeah, I figured it'd work for well over the power I can only dream to be making.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You don't need to cut the bumper, I did cuz I wanted mine to sit flush with the bumper foam and up more in case I ever bottom out the intercooler wouldn't rip off. It's hard to know until you get in there and see how you want it to fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with BMARTIN03ZX3, I would cut the bumper as well. If you don't the bottom of the intercooler will be below the lower rad support, or very close. The other thing to mention is the plastic belly pan that goes from the bumper to the rad. support, if you don't recess it you won't be able to install that back. In my opinion that "directs" the flow through the intercooler not to mention the radiator!
Oh yeah it also places the inlet and outlet nicely so you can run the pipes through the rad support right next to the radiator and such... just my 2cents.

-John

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i didnt cut mine and you are right you cant put the plastic peace back on but mine has never gotten hot, and my pipes line up just fine.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
i didnt cut mine and you are right you cant put the plastic peace back on but mine has never gotten hot, and my pipes line up just fine.
I didnt cut mine as well, I wouldnt say my pipes lined up perfect, but it only took 15min to mod a few things.

If I were going to do it again, I would cut a section out of my bumper to raise the IC and use the plastic shroud for increased airflow.

Both ways work fine, just if your that picky or not

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
I didnt cut mine as well, I wouldnt say my pipes lined up perfect, but it only took 15min to mod a few things.

If I were going to do it again, I would cut a section out of my bumper to raise the IC and use the plastic shroud for increased airflow.

Both ways work fine, just if your that picky or not

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow I didn't know that plastic pan thing was so important. Mine came off a long time ago in a wreck and I've never been able to put it back on.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Oh wow I didn't know that plastic pan thing was so important. Mine came off a long time ago in a wreck and I've never been able to put it back on.
I would try to put that back on becuase it will help with drawing the air through the fins creating a vac. effect for cooling making the air go through the fins. Just some added security for cooling.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I havent had that plastic piece on mine for years........

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
It helps, but its not like your cooling will not be effective without it.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
It helps, but its not like your cooling will not be effective without it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts