Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all intercoolers basically the same? I mean, you can find them any where from $100 for a generic brand to $300-500 for a name brand. Are you just paying for the name or are they actually better. And if they are, why? What features or qualities should I look for, such as type of metal(aluminum). With just a Procharger, am I really going to be able to tell the difference between a $100 and $400 FMIC? Anythings gotta be better than what came with it, right?
Thanks,
Kent

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Precision Turbo has one thats rated to 350hp... thats the one I'm gonna get and I think that might be the same one that the other guy on here who has the FMIC Procharger (license plate says BAD SVT) and there is a guy on FJ, I think its Ray from McNews that might be running the same one. You should be able to find it on ebay in a week or so for about $230 shipped.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey UtahSVT,
You get a tune from Tom? I finally got my wideband hooked up. Tom's gonna work on my tune tomorrow, then hopefully I can get it dynoed next week.
I want to get a FMIC, but I'm trying to figure out if there's really a difference, other than price. You can find them on Ebay for $100.
Kent

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
I have done some testing with the over seas IC and the high end ones from here and for the HP were talking about if it does not have a ton of PSI drop then you will be fine with the cheaper unit , Yes the high end ones in most cases are slightly better in quality

Tom

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I do indeed have the Precision FMIC. It works quite well. Rated to 350hp and I dont think I will go higher than that, but that is the number I will go for eventually. And it looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
891 Posts
What is the biggest FMIC you can use with the stock or even ST170 bumper? I want to get atleast 400 - 450 whp.

·
Registered
891 Posts
What is the biggest FMIC you can use with the stock or even ST170 bumper? I want to get atleast 400 - 450 whp.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When black01zx3 put the precision i/c it almost hit his front bumper. I dont think you can go any wider on but you may be able to get one that is longer. Thats about as tall as I would go as well. Maybe just a little taller. Just my .02 cents.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
anybody know how high the roush intercooler from the roush turbo kit can be boosted up to?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been thinking about buying this one from this place on Ebay,

Item number: 230034837819

What do you think? Will it work just fine?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Man that looks almost exaclty like the one I have (size wise) except mine is not polished but I think the mounting tabs on mine are better.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I think yours is more like this, Item number: 150042896997
But I'm worried about buying from them, cause they have quite a bit of negative feedback.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Kent,
did you ever get your tuning finished?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the most part yeah, but I think it still needs work. I just got back from South Carolina, had to go down to work for a couple of weeks, so I haven't been able to do anything lately. I would like to get it dyno tuned, I'm really worried about blowing something up. Just wish I lived closer to Tom or Mcnews. I've still been thinking about coming down your way, so maybe you could look at some data logs and to look things over.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yeah that does look exactly like mine (except mines not polished) but mines honestly looks a little more dense in the core. I don't think I can see through mine, one of those pics looks like you can slightly see the wall behind it. If it is exacly the same, man I kinda wish I would've looked at ebay a little more, could've saved maybe $100 --- your avatar is ugly as hell by the way!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you install yours yet? How's your tune coming? Which one of the two do you think is better?
Oh yeah, my avatar, Beetle Juice from the Howard Stern show.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts