Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally doing my SVT to SVT engine swap LOL. Anyways my old engine had a dual Mass Flywheel from motorcraft. It has this little wobble, kinda like a back and forth type of motion. Not like the sliding motion. So I took it to Ford for some Advice.

All the mechanic there have never worked with a SVT so none off them could tell me if it was good or not. The only one person that was able to help me out said, it appears to be good, but hes not too sure. What he told me is that he thinks that it pushes in with the pressure from the clutch so it will not do the little wobble it does.

What I want to know if its bad, I never drove the car so I wouldn't know. The guy at the Ford Shop said it looked good, no scratches, it slides back and forth just a lil bit, and about the tiny wobble he said it should be Fine.

Opinions?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are you aware there was a Technical service bulletin because the original clutch flywheel design was bad? I have not had a problem with mine but alot of people have. the new flywheel set up is different somehow, not sure aside from the flywheel being bigger. if you want a OEM replacement best I found was $305 with flywheel

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2002/ford/focus/clutch/clutch_kit.html

I just got mine in the mail.

Come with slave cylinder, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, and I believe the throwout bearing is connected to the slave cylinder

Sry I can't answer your specific question but If you replace everything that is one solution.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
slides forward and back along the axis of rotation? or turns forward and back around the axis?

if its the second, then its normal. its just part of all the springs and stuff inside to dampen the torque

·
Registered
13 Posts
i agree with above . those clutch designs were bad .i would change everything to be safe . my flywheel is starting to make a nocking noise and my clutch is starting to slip . so while im in there im doing the whole shabang ( clutch , flywheel , pressure plate, slave cylinder , master cylinder, fluid pressure plate bolts, and axle seals)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I seen that site after I bought the clutch set for 240 no flywheel, with flywheel it would of been 750. Same one too.

I Found a video online to better explain my situation, because after I read it I confused my self I cant imagine how you guys felt.

Starts at 8 Seconds. Not sure how I found it if I cant even understand the tittle lol.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No good. You shouldn't be able to wiggle it face/back - the slide is like a spring for the unsprung hub that the factory used. (The design of the dual mass flywheel)

·
Registered
337 Posts
yeah, honestly if I were in your situation, and there is any question of it being good or not, replace it now.

If you are doing an engine swap, do you really want to have to go back in and replace a flywheel and maybe clutch once you get it all done and find out it's no good? I'd spend the couple hundred bucks on parts just to avoid an pending clutch/flywheel job!

Good luck with the swap!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts