Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever used transmission fluid to flush the engine?

I have some buildup inside my wifes car (older accent) and was thinking about trying this. But I have no idea on how much to use or if it is safe to do...

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
what exactly are you flushing out? what kind of bulid-up? is it carbon build up? if its carbon build up, take it to a shop, and get the fuel system flushed. they hook it up to a machine that runs a cleaner through the fuel system, and cleans out the injectors and removes the carbon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
engine sludge inside the motor. buildup of it under the oil filler cap. and the oil is black as night after like 500 miles after I change the oil

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Gunk makes "Motor Flush" (I think it's gunk that makes it). It works real well. I've heard of using ATF, but I don't know how well that works.

If your oil gets dark real fast, that's often a sign of a weak PCV system, so you'll want to check that while you're poking around under there. Another thing could be lots of cold starting/short trips, i.e. chronicaly rich fuel mixture, bad rings, or overheating.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i have used tranny fluid its works ok, its has more cleaing additives in it then oil,
just let a QT of oil out then add a QT of tranny fluid drive it easily for 500 or so miles and drain it, repeat it as you see fit. at least thats how i cleaned out my dodge

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys, I think I will change the PCV and maybe just try a 1/2 quart of tranny fluid and see what happens (I will just change the oil filter and top off with tranny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts