Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the technical support representative for FLUIDYNE, and have recently been made aware of the fan fitment issues when installing a FLUIDYNE direct-fit all aluminum radiator in an SVT Focus. When the radiator was developed in the year 2000, it was developed on an base model Focus. Since the introduction of the SVT model, we had not been made aware of any firment issues with the fan, so we had not done any research into the problem. We now can state that the SVT models will require the installation af an aftermarket thin-line fan, due to the interference between the stock fan and the SVT exhaust header. We do not provide a direct-fit fan for this application, but someone such as Flex A Lite can supply one that will clear. We will be updating our website and catlog listing to provide this information. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Good to know, that is one of my 'soon to do' modifications...

Its probably due to the header coming out and towards the fans more.

Is it known whether or not simply removing the header heatsheild will give the needed clearance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That, I can't tell you, never having worked on an SVT myself. I would have to assume that it would not. Besides, if you did remove he heatshield, it would probably generate so much heat that it would damage or melt the fan.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Well, Ive had my heat sheild off for quite some time and there's no melting..not saying either one of us is wrong; no one has tested.

Tell ya what, I'll be the guineau pig and test it for you...my address is...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it comes to heat versus electrical components that contain plastic, I have learned the hard way to err on the side of caution!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Absolutely. I do intend to have a jet hot coating or thermal wrapping to protect the plastic stuff..

Since you are a techy at Fluidyne - I am going to get a rad. for my car...what drop is temps can be had from adding your rad. vs. stock? Just wondered what testing has been done. I do a lot of high rpm, low speed driving/ auto x so cooling is a priority..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Estimating temperature drop is a tricky thing because there are many factors that will influence that. Some of the variables are ambient air temperature, air speed velocity, coolant type, etc. With that being said, in our laboratory wind tunnel, a 25-30% drop is pretty common. BUT, this doesn't necessarily mean that ifthe car runs now at 200 that it will run at 140-150 with the radiator. This is a controlled laboratory test, and like they say, your results may vary. I can tell you that the added thickness and design efficiency of the FLUIDYNE radiator is very substantial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts