Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only put 9k miles a year on my 03. I change the oil every 3k with regular motorcraft oil. I have swapped out brake fluid once. Since the car is 5 yo, should I go ahead and change out some of the other fluids? It only sees highway miles and one track trip a year. Just as an example, I just got a new battery....I thought it was a 5 yr battery, didn't realize it was just 3 so I guess I got my money's worth from that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It can't really hurt it if you've got a few bucks and want to give it a go. I just bought mine with 50k and flushed the coolant, changed the tranny fluid, spark plugs, and switched to synthetic oil. None of it needed to be done but it does give me peace of mind and I will now continue this maintenance every 50k.

My spark plugs were definately fine for a lot longer, but you should at least check them. The transmission fluid was dark but there was nothing at all in it.

At your location you may as well change the coolant. It cost me a whopping $24 to flush my system, and that included a $5 kit I didn't even need to use. There were some metal flakes that came out doing this. The coolant is supposed to be good for 100k I believe but there's really no reason to NOT do it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
x2... i agree with silver, nothing wrong with doing your maintenance more often than recomended. The coolant and transmission fluid will be the first ones i do early this fall. The spark plugs are double platinum and will be fine for the 100k they are rated for, I won't change mine early unless I upgrade the coilpack and wires as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts