Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the skinny on what is going on. I bought an AEM SRI and I swapped in the 70mm MAF and it started up fine, but it won't idle correctly and the throttle was sticking about 3 grand for 5-10 seconds before it would come back down to somewhat of an idle and then die when I drove it around the block. I switched back to the stock MAF and it's all happy again. Could this mean that my 70mm MAF is going bad or is it that I need a tune with that big of a MAF sensor?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
when you install it, pull the negative battery terminal (for about 10-15 minutes) to reset the ecu so it will learn the more air flow that is comming into the engine

·
Registered
701 Posts
You will need a tune. It will run crappy. Thats what ray told me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the bigger MAF give me any significant gains over stock?

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
only way it will give any gains is if your built or boosted. stock it does nothing but screw up your maf reading since there is actually less flow over it.
are you using the stock sensor or aftermarket?
stock sensor you will need to be dyno tuned to remap for the airflow change. aftermarket you run into alot of things with. is it calibrated for your stock injector size?
either way it will need to be tuned. and once tuned mark everything so if its taken apart everything can be realigned. oving it a little in some cases can cause problems due to the airflow characteristics being changed.

believe me, i learned the hard way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a few basic bolt ons. I'm still running the stock injectors. I have a the AEM SRI and a 65mm TB. But that's about all I have for the intake for airflow. Right now I'm running the stock MAF, because the 70mm one is making the car run terrible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts