Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago from today, I drove my focus through some water. The water was not very deep probably 2 feet or so. Anyways when driving through the flash flood the car stalled out. Would not turn over after that. Had to get pulled out. When I got out of the water, oil was dripping from the oil pan. I had to arrange for the car to be towed into the shop where I take my cars in SoCal in chino. The next day the mechanic called me up and said that the engine was seized. I talked to a mechanic friend of mine for a second opinion on what to do. He thinks that the engine might be able to be fixed and not sized. Anyways after talking to a couple of people I'm confused on what to do at this point. Total cost of having the shop drop a used motor into it is gonna be about $3000 with labor included in that price. Or have my friend take a look and if the motor does need to be replaced. If it does need to be replaced he said he can help me drop it in, so that would be just the price of a used motor. The used motor from that the shop can get has 60,000 miles, 90 day warranty.

The car has only 76k miles on it now.

Basically I just bought the car about a year ago and paid 5k for the car.
I'm just wondering what I should do. It would take me a while to save up the cash to have the shop do the work. I have enough for the motor but need the rest. The motor is only 1500 the rest is labor cost witch is about 1500 as well. Or buy the engine and have my friend help me drop it in.

My concern is will the car be worth it in the end? Or should I just look into buying another vehicle for now until I can save up enough to fix the focus?

Any comments helping my situation or advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks guys!

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
I would look around on a used engine , you can find them much less then 1500

First I would drain the oil and take off the filter , remove all the plugs and see if the engine will spin over , if the engine spins over , add new oil and filter , new plugs , look in the TB and make sure there is no water in there and see if it will start

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to have my friend take a look and see what he can do. Called the shop they're saying that there is a hole in the block. Close to the fire wall. Do you know where I might be able to locate a used engine? I'm pretty new to all of this and I'm a newbie when it comes to mechanics.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech. Chat, as this is more of a repair than "performance" question.

2' is pretty deep to drive through, with a LOT of damage possible as you learned. Engine air intake isn't much more than a foot off the ground, and by a couple it was thoroughly submerged. Water ingested doesn't compress, so a rod was broken & the end jammed through the side of the engine as it turned from your description.

No choice but a replacement engine plus likely a few more parts that were water damaged (Filter assy., MAF at a minimum).

Surprisingly I've seen some of these cases covered by insurance, something you should look into to help with repairs.

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
'The water was not very deep probably 2 feet or so.'

A whopper of a misstatement and now OP knows why. NEVER drive a car in that much water.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yeah, mine is the opposite of a Jeep that has a high mount intake - it's right in the lower grille...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Two feet of water huh? Damn, sorry to hear about it. My guess (without looking at it of course) is that you hydro-locked it and it bent a rod/threw it out the block. Hence the oil dripping after you went through the lake... I mean puddle. =D

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
Look at the bright side, you now got a free boat anchor.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
I'm sorry that happened to you, it's a hard lesson certainly. Probably the best bet is to buy something to get you back and forth to work until you can get another motor to put in the Focus, or just junk it and chalk that one up to experience.

Why junk it? Look at it on a financial level- you paid $5k. Now you need to pay another $3k which is more than half what the car is worth. Resale value is not going to give you a break, and you'll be lucky if the car is worth the $3k that you put into it to get it running. 05 Focis are good cars, but truthfully, no car is worth 1.6x it's street value. Only Ferarris are going to be worth more than what you pay for them some day (not counting ongoing maintenance).

As far as a friend who is willing to "drop" a motor in for you... man that's nice. However, it doesn't always work out the way it's envisioned in the beginning. The 90 day warranty on a motor is good for the initial install, and to make sure it just isn't ready to blow up. If your friend has a lift, then your friendship is not at stake. If he doesn't, then it might be. These engines are much easier to remove if you can lift the car off the engine/trans combo. It won't just be the cost of the salvaged motor either. There will be fluids, and there will be parts that it's just smart to replace or have rebuilt while the engine is being installed. It's not much money, but it will be necessary. Motor installs can take a lot of time too. I've done one in a weekend, but I had a lot at my disposal, and all the necessary parts were on hand. I'd been planning that job for more than a week.

That's a hard financial decision to make bro, good luck at it. You can always do both, buy some cheap POS to run around in for a month or so while the engine is installed, then sell that, or store it in the backyard for some future emergency. It all depends on how hard it is for you to get transportation without your vehicle. Where I live, public trans is nil.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I am sorry to hear a member to go through this. My oil pump finally went out and my engine seized up about 10 days ago. I was lucky enough to have purchased a brand new engine from this website beforehand. I have a friend that works at a shop that put it in for me as well. So 2 grand in total later, I have a good running car. If I was you, Get your friend to help you drop another motor in it. Craigslist can be a great resource as can be a local junkyard. You should be able to find a lower mileage engine for $500-800.00 easily. $1500.00 is simply too much for a used engine that you know nothing about.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
2.3 or 2.0 ?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Junkyards around here (socal) have 2.0's and 2.3's for $500-600. There will be some misc parts to add, like a new MAF, fluids, a few gaskets, but $3k is high.

·
Registered
521 Posts
eBay has some well-reviewed sellers with engines ready to go. You can have it shipped directly to you on a pallet, and the whole lot costs $450 depending what engine you choose. It might not be a pretty engine, but most have a three-month warranty.

Toby

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Do you know any specific junk yards brother?
I use B&J mostly because they deliver. They are in Downey, you are probably outside their delivery radius.

There are several in San berdoo county, couple up by Sylmar, and some in Wilmington that continually advertise Focus parts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys thanks for all the advice, I found an engine online actually 1yr warranty, 77k miles on the motor, about the same as mine. The engine is an oem motor, the source it comes from is partmyride. Seems like I'm going to order this one, was only $396. Crossing my fingers for my car. I don't want to let her go lol

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Yea, its cheaper in the long run. Guess you learned about driving in water, huh?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I sure did, does anyone happen to know when ordering the engine do I have to order a specific motor to fit in a manual/automatic??

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Yeah I sure did, does anyone happen to know when ordering the engine do I have to order a specific motor to fit in a manual/automatic??
That'll help to figure out if you need or want a flywheel or flexplate.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts