Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you feel about purchasing a Focus that is a good deal and appears in great shape with low mileage, but has a history of either being a fleet car or has an auction history?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fully support it. You can get phenomenal deals. I bought my 2010 S back in 2015 with 48k miles, it was an ex Dominos pizza delivery car. I've only done the basics (motor mounts, upgraded plugs and packs, and front wheel bearings, and performance mods done by me) and it just hit 108k miles yesterday. If it's an Mk1 thru Mk2, go for it. Mk3, if it's a manual. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Fleet vehicle very well could of been a rental or a manufacturer fleet vehicle....as far as the amount of times a vehicle goes to the different dealer auctions, possibly a dealer(s) can't sell that peculiar vehicle.....Possibly in this case= dct equipped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey bud, I know it's a week old but I purchased a 2015 SE Fleet car in 2017 for $10000 out the door with 39000 miles. It's at 94000 miles now. In 2 years I've had to replace the battery, starter, and the radiator twice. Admittedly the radiators were my own fault they failed. I took the undercarriage cover off to do maintenance (both times) and forgot to put it back. Somehow a rock found its way into the radiator. So far the only things I regret are buying it with cloth seats, and drum brakes. I've only ever changed disk brake systems so I'm nervous about doing drums without some sort of video as guidance. It's been a great road trip and family car. Id say for the right price, and mileage go for it. If it has the DCT you'll want to make sure any issues have been dealt with or you have some mileage left on the warranty. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A used car is a used car. I'd buy anything I thought was a good deal.
Well that's to the point, isn't it. I never thought of it that way and always assumed there was something more risky about a car that had fleet or auction in its history. Thanks for that.

And thanks everyone for the great input.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Purchased a 2008S in 2011 from CarMax. it was a rental car and had 24,000 miles. I put 176,000 miles on it with only routine maintenance. I won't buy new anymore. Give the car a few years of ownership and the internet time to do it's job. That will save you from buying a lemon. If you buy a dct Focus now.... It is all your fault and you get what you deserve. I do feel for the people who bought a 2012 or 2013 dct new but after that research before you buy anything. I won't buy a 25$ part from Amazon without at least 30 minutes of researching reviews from multiple sites. How in the hell do people make 10,000$ purchases of used vehicles without any research of issues????

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well that's to the point, isn't it. I never thought of it that way and always assumed there was something more risky about a car that had fleet or auction in its history. Thanks for that.

And thanks everyone for the great input.
Yep. Just to clarify there is almost no possible way to really know the history of a car is what I mean. Unless you bought it from a friend/family and they bought it new. Otherwise, nothing may show up on a history report, but that doesn't mean it wasn't abused/neglected at some point.
Either you know the history of the car, or you dont. The risk is the same. Check it out as best you can and make an educated guess with what little info you get on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts