Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of getting a sct flasher. is this a good choice or is it better to do a chip? i am not sure how it actually works so any opinion will help! [???:)]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
flash

·
Registered
82 Posts
Chip.

Just to be different. And I have one.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Flasher...allows you to load an e-mailed tune into your ECU yourself instead of removing the chip and mailing it back to whoever you got it from so they can re-burn it. Plus you can adjust several factors like idle and timing yourself, read/clear CELs and datalog.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think i am going with the Xcalibrator 2! looks like the most on and off track control!

·
Registered
148 Posts
firebreather. where do you get your tunes from. i'm thinking of getting a subscription at hypnotic illusions

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If you have any mods done to your car you could try Tom at Focus Power...he won't do tunes for stock/mostly stock non-SVTs as there are no gains to be had in tuning a stock setup.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i have only a intake and performance pug wire any good or worth buying it ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
SkaAddict said:
If you have any mods done to your car you could try Tom at Focus Power...he won't do tunes for stock/mostly stock non-SVTs as there are no gains to be had in tuning a stock setup.
any other places I can go...I like the idea that hypnotic has a subscription for updates and their prices are cheap. However, like you said, there may be problems contacting wayne as he seems to have disappeared. Does anyone have similar or cheaper pricing, perhaps for a subscription?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
One thing I'd keep in mind with the tuners who offer "subscription" tuning on non-SVT Foci is there's very little (if any) power that can be obtained from tuning on a stock/mostly stock configuration, and even if you do have mods there's far too many variables for a one-size-fits-all tune to work for everyone. There's really no substitute for getting your car on a dyno and having a specific tune done for your configuration. If your car is stock or mostly stock (ie, intake and catback) you should get more modifications done before you worry about tuning...I would say that I/H/E and cam gears should be the absolute minimum you need to have on the car before you even consider having it tuned, otherwise you're just throwing your money away on something that's not going to do a whole lot, if anything.

Its different with the SVT because the SVT is in essence a turn-key tuner car, with thousands of cars on the road all with the same identical configuration and performance parts, and all running a stock Ford tune that leaves a lot of room for improvement. For this reason tuners can offer a one-size-fits all tune...on the other hand, a stock Focus has highly restrictive intake, exhaust and emissions control equipment installed, and power levels vary greatly from one Focus to another because there was no uniform cam timing used at the factory.

I'd seriously reccomend that you take the money you're looking at spending on a chip or flasher and spend it on a set of adjustable cam gears and a session on a dyno to get your cams dialed in correctly. Unless you have a Focus that randomly came out of the factory with well-timed cams, you could see more power, or the powerband will be at a more usable point in the RPM range.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i'm looking more for driveability rather than big power gains. The subscription would be good for updates to tailor the tunes to my driving style due to the fact that there is no on-size -fits all solution. I'm just for a few names of other places that do subscription tuning.

I will eventually get it dyno tuned next year. The mustang shop my brother goes to is planning on modifying their mustang dyno for use with foci and other fwd ford vehicles, so until then i'd like to get a tune that's close.

·
Registered
299 Posts
yea i agree a couple of more tuner parts like cat back and headers maybe cams for me before i decided on tune thank u for the insight!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
yf22k said:
i'm looking more for driveability rather than big power gains. The subscription would be good for updates to tailor the tunes to my driving style due to the fact that there is no on-size -fits all solution. I'm just for a few names of other places that do subscription tuning.
I don't think you're quite grasping what I'm saying...if your car is stock or near stock there's really nothing that can be done. You'll pay a few hundred dollars for a flasher and a tuning subscription that will net you maybe a HP or two at the wheels, and you could take that money and spend it on other mods that will do more for you right now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I understand what you're saying...Read my last post, I said i'm not really looking for hp gains right now. I just want a smoother running car. A friend of mine was lucky enough to get a tune from hyptnotic before wayne disappeared. His stock focus idled much smoother and throttle response was better as well as eliminating the problem with hanging revs.

My brother has an 04 mustang gt putting out 400rwhp with a 93 octane fuel...he was looking for power gains from the tuner but he also got smoother throttle response. Of course he had his dyno tuned by Mustang Magic.

I already got a used unlocked xcal 2 for cheap so I'm just looking for someone to make me one or two custom tunes. That's all I'm asking. I do have an intake and throttle body on order right now and I may get full bolt ons up to cams by the end of next year but I just want better driveability asap

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i had a friend adjust my TPS and the throttle responce is much better, the idle pretty much evened out. another reason i want the tune is for the EGR cut out, O2 cut out (we have no emissions control here), and the speed limiter.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
lilpup2022 said:
another reason i want the tune is for the EGR cut out, O2 cut out (we have no emissions control here), and the speed limiter.
Me to. Removing the speed governor and the EGR is what I want the most!!! I ran a poll not so long ago on this. After serious considering and the opinions of some of the people here Iv'e decided to go with the SCT XCalibrator 2.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts