Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a flamer kit 4 my RS. i have been lookin around fuc*in everywhere to get it fitted. . no mechanic knows what im on about. ive decided to fit it myself but i aint got a clue how to do it......[???:)] can anyone point me in the right direction??? ill post a pic of what is in the kit![???:)] hope ya can help![thumb]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Flamer as in shooting flames out the tail pipe?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I've never installed one, but it doesn't look too hard. Basically, you have a coil that you mount somewhere in the rear, near the exhaust. Then you are drilling a hole into your tail pipe, and installing a sparkplug, and hooking it up to the coil. Then you run power lines from the battery and that toggle switch to the coil. I always thought that you had to richen the fuel mixture, but I'm not sure how you do that with the kit.

Oh, I'm not sure how well it will work on a car equiped with catelytic converters.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Well, then the tricky part would be just richening up the fuel mixture. I don't know how rich a RS runs, but it might not be rich enough to ignite.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/files/pdf/instructions/FLAME.pdf

Those are different directions for a different kit, but it might help you figure out what might be done.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Now all you have to do is figure out how to make colors...lol. I can't believe I'm gettin in on this, but it will work best when you back off the throttle, however, with a modern fuel injected car, it may not work at all...with an old car , you know, carbureators ( for you yunguns thats what we had in the old days), you would turn the choke on ( remember manual chokes?), anyway, richen the mixture and turn it on..
Its funny , but I was at an import show this summer, and a guy had a old lowered caddy and could shoot about a 6 foot flame, and several of the younger crowd ( I had a 13 and a 17 year old with me) thought it was the coolest thing in the world, its been around for a few years, anyway, have fun with it, just don't shock yourself...let us know how it works!

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Yea, I remember pleanty of those at the hot rod shows my dad took me to. Thats how I came to my installation guestimate. Always loved seeing a Merc shoot flames. But for the F&F effect, you'll need some NAWS. [;)] (okay, its just cupric oxide)

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I kinda feel the way you do cows, but he asked so I had to help....ewwwww. a flaming RS I didn't even realize it was an rs I was thinking zx3, oh goosh! But hey, do each his own! his car hope he has fun!

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Ya, the flamer is kind of an odd thing to do to your car but I bet there are a few people on this forum that have the front steam vent bumper like 2F2F that think that was cool too.
I guess somtimes life needs to immitate the movies...
Hopefully, no one has tried jumping any draw bridges...[:)]

·
Registered
793 Posts
ok wow, Im surprised thats way gay for an RS, put that thing back on ebay where it blongs, and if you install it kiss your nice blue paint on your bumper goodbye because that thing will burn it off, Ive seen a guy have that happen on his civic with the exact same thing, even a normal exhaust cat back if too close to the bumper or kit will burn paint, BAD IDEA

·
Registered
13 Posts
got a friend with a 87 civic 4 door with that kit it would shut his car off when he shot a flame because it cuts off 2 of the cylinders for the extra fuel mixture to make the flame.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well in the old carb model vehicles there is a module that disables the ignition so only raw fuel in pumped through the engine and down the exhaust. When catalytic converters were put on vehicles it actually absorbs the raw fuel so flamers wouldn't work. But if you hollow out the cat and disable the ignition system so that the engine still goes through the compression cycles and just dumps raw fuel through the exhaust you'll have yourself a flamer. Now disabling the ignition system should be fun on a fuel injected system.....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts