Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 2 flakes in a row, I finially find an awesome car, that I can afford (He posted to my WTB ad here on FF). Very clean, low miles, lots of new parts, and a supercharger. Want 6.5 butI got him down to 6 by having him switch his custom header for the stock SVT head and cat, seemed like a fair deal. I go to the bank get my loan approved, but when I go back to pick up the check, the bank is closed for the weekend. I told him, "consider it sold." I'd have the check monday and we could meet sometime this week when he was available. So today I text him asking if he had a day in mind yet, and he tells me he's pulling the supercharger and selling it to someone else. But we had a deal, right? Guess not. Now I got no car, a loan thats for a car thats no longer worth the value of said loan, a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up credit score after I go to cancel this loan, and the urge to drive 2 hours north to beat the shit out of someone I've never met.
Long story short, a deal is a deal, you're only worth as much as you're word.

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
Moving this to "Vendor, Dealer & Seller Reviews". While I agree that it's a shitty way to deal with someone. But he does have the right to do what he wants with the car since you have not put the cash directly in his hand.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I would of thought he'd at least give you till monday as the loan end of the banks are closed on the weekends.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Was there a down payment? I will hold a car for a purchaser under written receipt through the specified date if I receive a down payment to hold the item. However, I do NOT take anyone seriously that just asks to hold the item without any incentive. This is not to be confused with an insult on you. It is purely because Craigslist and the likes have routinely produced lowballers, flakes, and bullchitters and I don't have time (or patience) to deal with it.

If there was a written agreement to hold the car until a documented date and/or money to hold it, then he is wrong. If someone only texts my phone with promises, I will not take them seriously. Again, I'm not directing this toward you personally, its the general public on craigslist that forces me to ASSUME nothing is final until it is in contract... Call me, meet up, work out a deal and I'll write two copies of a receipt to hold the car and include highlights of the discussion and a dollar amount to hold.

You should discuss the situation with your bank. Its worth pointing out that you are still interested in similar cars and they might be able to work the loan under a new VIN or help you in some other way. Let it be known that no matter the situation, it is wrong for a seller to mislead a buyer. The seller should have been direct with you stating that until money is exchanged the car is fair game to anyone. Knowing his intentions might have saved you some trouble.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Pretty much sum it up,,,,^^^^^^^^

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
8 months later ...

Felix, lay off the booze man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts