Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly have no incentive to stop using the FL400s filter as it is a great filter in my opinion and will continue to do so.

However, I've been looking at Black Friday sales ads and I'm seeing quite a few oil specials with the taller aftermarket filters, which I believe were based on the original design of the FL400s.

My question here is that knowing my Focus holds 4.5 quarts with the FL400s filter, what does that increase to if I were to use Purolator L20195, Pure One PL20195 or Wix 51315?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
On the Zetec I recommend the use of the FL-1A filter.

It is larger, cheaper, and has a long history of being a tried and proven good filter.

When I change oil, I refill with 5 qts which makes it only slightly above the full mark, but that is not a problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a ton of FL-1A (and equiv) filters because I own two vehicles with the 302. I have considered upgrading those, just so I can pour in a full 5 quarts and be done with it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With this being said........with the larger FL-1A filter and .5 quart increase in oil, are you running an extended OCI?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I am running an extended OCI, but that is mostly due to the use of synthetic oil and not so much the filter.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like running bigger filters when possible too, any recommendations for 2.0Duratec engines? Not looking for one that will hang down to the ground but wouldn't mind running a slightly longer filter.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I like running bigger filters when possible too, any recommendations for 2.0Duratec engines? Not looking for one that will hang down to the ground but wouldn't mind running a slightly longer filter.
FL842 or a Fram tg16.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
This compares some of the different filter sizes that are used. On the Duratec, you do have to be mindful of the ground clearance issue such as a parking curb. Also, on the Duratec some have been able to use the FL-1A but there is (at least some have found) a small projection that has to be cut or filed off in order to get it to properly seat...this is due to its diameter being larger than the others.

A note to anyone reading this that has a warranty; I would run the recommended Ford filter or equivalent. Also, keep in mind, that if you run a filter that is not recommended by the filter manufacturer as being correct, they will not stand behind their filter should it fail.

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I've used FL842/ TG16's w/ no issues.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I've used FL842/ TG16's w/ no issues.
This compares those two filters. The TG16 is the same physical size as the Fram PH16, but it has their better filter media. The FL-842 is slightly different in size from the PH/TG16. It falls between the FL-300 & FL-2005. The FL-2005 is/has been phased out, so the MC replacement would be FL-400S if it will fit your car.

Note: Comparing physical sizes of different brands is not all there is to it. For example, some "equivalent" filters differ in filtering ability (micron size), bypass relief valves, and anti-drainback valves. So, do your homework!

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for the extra info guys. I'll give the 842 a try next time I change my oil and if it hangs too low for my liking I'll switch back to the recommended filter (FL910?). It's the new car so only changed the oil once, about a month after I bought it so still don't have the important numbers memorized.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thanks for the extra info guys. I'll give the 842 a try next time I change my oil and if it hangs too low for my liking I'll switch back to the recommended filter (FL910?). It's the new car so only changed the oil once, about a month after I bought it so still don't have the important numbers memorized.
I found the fl842/ tg16 is bewteen the 842/tg16 & the fl400 length wise & has a bigger diameter, w/ the gasket similar size.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'll give the 842 a try next time I change my oil and if it hangs too low for my liking I'll switch back to the recommended filter (FL910?).
You could always just stick something on the bottom of your current filter to replicate the length of any of the above filters. This would give you an idea of how much extra length you feel comfortable with before you go out and buy one. Just a thought........

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You could always just stick something on the bottom of your current filter to replicate the length of any of the above filters. This would give you an idea of how much extra length you feel comfortable with before you go out and buy one. Just a thought........
This^^^^^ Go to a auto parts store & take a look at the different lengths of filters, taking in to account how much your car is lowered & how you park( up against the parking chaulks) Do you leave some room or not? I'm not one of those many ppl that stops at the curb & has the front end of the car hanging over the curb. You drive a few Vette's & you don't do that. The filter adapter sits a little ways from the pan & the way the motor positioned it postions the filter out front, so take that in account. http://Burtonpower.com offers a horizon filter adapter that'd accept a fl1a filter w/ no problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts