Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not into loud noise, so I use my hatch-trunk area for things other than speakers and amps. First thing I did....put a 1/2" foam pad under the spare tire area. Keeps down on the noise from any movement of the tire or jack.

Then I covered the sill with rubber stair treads from Home depot.

Next I added some rear lighting on both sides and some power outlets.

After that I added a bunch of ring hangers, using existing screws and panel clips. The hangers came from Ace hardware.

To finish it off, I bought a 3'x4' utility carpet from Home Depot. Cut it out using the stock carpet as a template. (protects the OEM carpet, and things don't shift around back there due to the ridges). And lastly (so far), I installed a cargo net (accessory item off a 2000 Maxima I think).

Anybody think of anything else to do back there (other than the obvious audio stuff).......please let me know.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh...reminds me of a joke. How to tell who loves you the most.....your wife or your dog? Lock both in the trunk. Let them out after an hour or so. Which one is happy to see you? [thumb]

·
Registered
278 Posts
um i think everything looks good, maybe bolt in a power inverter. just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Looks good man. It just depends. What do you typically haul around. It looks like you could secure a human if the need arised. I'd say bring incorporate something that shows you personality.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Berg.....that's a project I'm still working on. There was supposed to be a wire for an accessory amplifier in the trunk area. I haven't found it. I don't think this model is equipped with that particular harness. So....I may be forced to run a long wire all the way up front.

I do have a small 140W inverter that I can use. It just plugs into the power outlet. But I don't like to use it....those things use a lot of battery power. I prefer to use 12V stuff.....fans, lights, coolers, etc.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm mostly finished with the trunk mods. I never could find a 12v power wire going to the trunk, one that was hot all the time. I found one heavy wire that had 12V with the ign. on, but didn't want to use it. So I ran a 14ga wire along the edge of the trunk, under the carpet up front, then under the center consul, and spliced it into the power wire to the front lighter socket. Works ok....that wire will handle more current than the socket, so it should be fine. I'll never use the front socket while the rear sockets are in use.

Then I rigged up a utility mat that covers the rear seating area. It attaches to the rear of the back seats using bungee cords. I mostly carry stuff in the rear seat area.....the mat will protect everything.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here's one use for these rear outlets.....a charge port for my spare battery. It's a marine deep-discharge battery, that could also fit in the Focus. It's a sealed battery, so no fumes or spillage. With jumper cables I can start the Focus, or use it when camping for light, fans, etc. It will also power my laptop computer for a long time....24 hours or more. And numerous other uses.... There's a volt-meter plugged in, so I can check the state of charge. Handy device to have around.... I can bring it into the house for a source of power during an outage. Wouldn't be without one.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks.....in case anybody is wondering about the use of all those hooks in the trunk, they come in handy for hanging shopping bags. Just happen to be the right height.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And a little safety mod.....a set of reflectors on the inside of the hatch. When open, this places the reflectors about 6'8" in the air, and oriented vertical, so as to be highly visible from a long way off. These reflectors are almost 3' higher than the reflectors inside the tail lights.......plus you won't be blocking the things as you get stuff from the trunk.

I'm a practical sort of person.....[:)]

Package of four long strips from Walmart $8......You have to cut to fit.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
wow lots of great ideas, some the factory should have included [thumb] ok, since I'm here, and noticed you installed lights, anyone with a sedan know if we're supposed to have lighting in the trunk? I could have used it the other night :p

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Yeah, a ton of great ideas.

You sir are a man who likes rears

·
Registered
936 Posts
Lots of nice stuff, but I think the CCFL light mod that on here somewhere would be a better option of adding light to the trunk area, but that's just me. :)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah it certainly would be better to have a light under the hatch cover.....it would illuminate the trunk better, particularly if it was loaded up. But there are clearance issues and wiring issues on this hatchback. A sedan would be no problem.

There are a limited number of suitable places on this model....where my new lites are located, provide good lighting that is really useful, and were installed easily.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ah so that's how you did it....... I think it's definitely worth me trying... are those wiring harnesses? how did you hook those up? (sorry if it's in the front, I can't remember)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a custom wiring harness made from a four-wire harness spool(from Walmart automotive section). I'm only using two of the wires. The other two wires are just there for future expansion. The two new lights have their harnesses connected, and then spliced into the existing trunk light.

So there's the OEM light up high, and the two new lower lights. It's plenty bright now, but not so bright as to be an irritation.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts